Best method to hide tree stumps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The houses that kinda floated down the Cowlitz in 2006 made the national news. Be sure to have a camera ready. My friend did and he got the video that they all used.

Regular houses don't seem to float all that good. They tend to fall apart. Perhaps that can be rectified by the OP in time for the Big One?

On a job last week, and quite often actually, I rub the cut edges with charcoal and/or mud. I would advice you really grind the charcoal into the wood HARD. Don't forget to treat the limbs the same way. Of course a low stump makes the camo project easier. If you can do it without digging a hole throw a little soil and leaves on the wood.

An even better solution is to use explosives to blow the stump apart. This means no straight lines that attract the eyes. Might need an official OK from the local ologist.

I'm pretty sure there is a USDA video on the subject. I'll look.

I was depressed the day I took the trees down. I honestly didnt expect to get much view. The result far exceeded my expectations.

Isn't Yale on the Fraser River? In any case, Federal Fisheries Act would probably apply (private land or not) if you were found to have altered or have caused damage to a riparian area associated with fish habitat. Given that the Fraser River supports one of the largest Sockeye salmon runs in North America you'd better hope that no one notices. Hope you are please with your new view.

Who'd a thunk a bunch of dirty loggers would have such strong environmental views? They'll be on your property soon, chaining themselves to your skidder :givebeer:

Shaun

Who'd a thunk a bunch of dirty loggers would have such strong environmental views? They'll be on your property soon, chaining themselves to your skidder :givebeer:

Shaun

We can't chain ourselves to his skidder. It sank. Maybe we could chain ourselves to his tugboat...you know, the one tied to the porch railing?

For some of us foresters, a biologist doing such a thing is priceless. You are the ones who are usually ascared of what cutting one tree on a hillside, 500 feet away from a stream, during the dry season, when the birds are done nesting, when the elk calves are not so vulnerable, after the endangered flowers have been located and identified, and so on, will do to the ecosystem.

I'm being a bit sarcastic, but just a bit, having worked with or tried to work with 'ologists for many years.
The ones just out of school are the worst, of course.

Yup, this thread is priceless. :laugh:

I'm gonna rant some about wetlands later. For now, I'll say this: wetlands and riparian management areas are an issue that aren't going to go away. Sooner we wrap our heads around Best Practices, the better, for all involved.

Well on a good note the Supreme Court just ruled that runoff from forest roads is non-point source and just like runoff from farm fields! :msp_w00t:

I know me and a few others are pretty ecstatic!

Well on a good note the Supreme Court just ruled that runoff from forest roads is non-point source and just like runoff from farm fields! :msp_w00t:

I know me and a few others are pretty ecstatic!

:clap::clap::clap:

Madhatte, everybody needs to be on the same wavelength as to what a wetland is. I've had some 'ologists declare the soggy area around a developed water source--cow watering tank as a wetland. We've had to buffer the same distance around draws that dry up each year, as we did around year round creeks. The amount of buffering and definitions vary amongst hydrologists--at least those in the Forest Service, and by how much faith the deciding official has in those folks. It also varies depending on if you can get the hydrologist out of the office to ground truth some places that differ from what they are said to be in the GIS layers.

It also varies depending on if you can get the hydrologist out of the office to ground truth some places that differ from what they are said to be in the GIS layers.

This will be the subject of my rant. I have a partial solution but it's complex and technical and the story's not over yet, so I'll hold off telling it a bit.

Hnmm Porch, railing???? Hood River

We can't chain ourselves to his skidder. It sank. Maybe we could chain ourselves to his tugboat...you know, the one tied to the porch railing?

Bar stool, cold beer, thats about all I care to think of for the present,,, Seems like we've been there before!!! and stuff :clap: Just sayin:msp_ohmy:

:clap::clap::clap:

Madhatte, everybody needs to be on the same wavelength as to what a wetland is. I've had some 'ologists declare the soggy area around a developed water source--cow watering tank as a wetland. We've had to buffer the same distance around draws that dry up each year, as we did around year round creeks. The amount of buffering and definitions vary amongst hydrologists--at least those in the Forest Service, and by how much faith the deciding official has in those folks. It also varies depending on if you can get the hydrologist out of the office to ground truth some places that differ from what they are said to be in the GIS layers.

Been there too. Never happen unless something extraordinary happens... must say actual foresters for the most part are more pleasant to work with than ologists. Although the company Geo morphologist that I worked with was awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bar stool, cold beer, thats about all I care to think of for the present,,, Seems like we've been there before!!! and stuff :clap: Just sayin:msp_ohmy:

There is a small house for sale that is right on the Nehalem River, except it is also right on the highway. You could buy it and we could come and chain ourselves to the railing, unless it is flooding. ;)

Back