Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got to thinking, CA has all kinds of new emission laws doesnt' it? I have no clue whether my '99 1800 would meet the new emission standards or not...?

stupid EPA...

Just got to thinking, CA has all kinds of new emission laws doesnt' it? I have no clue whether my '99 1800 would meet the new emission standards or not...?

stupid EPA...

CA does have emissions laws. However, where I live, I don't think the emission police are very likely to come looking for me. They tend to stay in the bigger metropolitan areas and the closest one to me is Sacramento and that is still 1.5 hours away. I know that doesn't sound very environmental of me, but why waste a machine that is going to get used somewhere else anyway? I'm not very familiar with the CARB laws here, but I believe all diesel engines are supposed to be tier IV by a certain year. I might be interested in your chipper, AP, when you decide to sell it. I also have to buy a chip truck; one that is big enough so I don't have to keep running to the dump all the time while running an 18" chipper. Another contractor suggested that I get a flatbed dump and have a ramp fabricated between the cab and dump body to load the SK 650 on to. This way I could basically show up to a job with one truck and still get the job done in an efficient manner. Anybody else out there doing this? I also want a flatbed because I need to have removable sides to be able to load logs and such into the truck with the SK650. The machine just doesn't reach high enough to load over the sides of a dump truck. Maybe this is overkill as you can just load through the gate in the back. I'm open to ideas and opinions on this if anybody wants to chime in.

Another contractor suggested that I get a flatbed dump and have a ramp fabricated between the cab and dump body to load the SK 650 on to.

Arbor Pro is your man then, have you seen his rig? He's got me considering cutting the mancab off of my chip truck to do the same thing.

Arbor Pro, what are your thoughts on the turf tracks for DW? Have you used them much yet or seen them in action. The machine does everything but can be a little tough on the Kentucky Blue Grass. When are we going to get the green ASV turf tracks for mini's?

Arbor Pro is your man then, have you seen his rig? He's got me considering cutting the mancab off of my chip truck to do the same thing.

Arbor Pro, what are your thoughts on the turf tracks for DW? Have you used them much yet or seen them in action. The machine does everything but can be a little tough on the Kentucky Blue Grass. When are we going to get the green ASV turf tracks for mini's?

link to truck refurb thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/151415.htm#post2510490

I'll let you know about the turf tracks this spring. Just bought a narrow set to put on my new 650 which came with wide aggressive tracks. I needed a new set of wide tracks to put on one of my 2008 650s so I figured making the swap was a good way of justify trying out the narrow turf tracks on the new machine. The existing wide tracks on the 2008 machine are turf tracks but pretty worn out so they go across a lawn with no damage whatsoever but the metal cleats are starting to rip through so we'll see how new tracks do come spring.

Defensible - I'm going into winter hibernation here so winter is as good of time as any for me to do some equipment swapping. Just let me know when you're ready to buy a chipper and we can discuss mine further. And feel free to check out my truck refurb in the linked thread and also in the TCI magazine from a month or two ago (in the equipment locator section). Link: http://www.tcia.org/Digital_Magazine/TCIEL_Fall1011/TCI-Equipment-Locator-Fall-2011/#?page=8

AP

Last edited:
And since this is a mini skid thread, I'll try to switch back to the topic and say that the truck setup for hauling the mini skid works great. couldn't be happier with it. And, btw, I'm selling one or both of my 2008 sk650s. I love those machines dearly but just can't justify having three of them around when I run a crew of just three guys. :msp_rolleyes:

Somebody's gotta run a saw every once in awhile...

Last edited:
And, btw, I'm selling one or both of my 2008 sk650s. I love those machines dearly but just can't justify having three of them around when I run a crew of just three guys. :msp_rolleyes:

Somebody's gotta run a saw every once in awhile...

So you're the one that cornered the market on SK-650's and the reason I can't find one?

So you're the one that cornered the market on SK-650's and the reason I can't find one?

Can't find one? What part of "I'm selling one or both of my 2008 sk650s" didn't you understand...? : )

WHAT..?? I'm not off topic the guys talking about racing their motorcycles are off topic :) and mine is a mini, not in the true sense. But it's small, it has no turf impact and can lift 1200 lbs.
Way more than a mini. Multi trac was bought out by boxer not gehl, although they are identical looking machines.

Nice genie lift. gotta love those tz50s for getting into tight spots. I can see advantages to the multi trac especially the extending boom for additional lift height. However, I just don't think I want to sit on something so small with a heavy load lifted overhead. One bad move on a soft slope and over it goes with you going for the ride. I've flipped a mini skid on rough terrain (only once) and it was sure nice to be able to just step away from the machine when it happened. Turned the motor off right away so it didnt' starve for oil and flipped it back up right away using my pickup. Let it sit for an hour, checked the fluids and fired it up and went back to work.

Anyhow, nice setup with the multi trac and genie!

I believe that the Vermeer S600TX with the diesel engine and grapple bucket is the best, I've got two uncles that own the Bobcat minis, the MT52 and MT55, mine will blow them away!!! Ride on platform, joy sticks controls, faster ground speed, stronger and lifts higher!!!

I believe that the Vermeer S600TX with the diesel engine and grapple bucket is the best, I've got two uncles that own the Bobcat minis, the MT52 and MT55, mine will blow them away!!! Ride on platform, joy sticks controls, faster ground speed, stronger and lifts higher!!!

Nice rims on the pickup. You going to a jobsite or a fashion show?

If I'm going to be in it everyday, might as well look good, their better looking than the stock metal ones that came on it!!! This is everything I've got done to my 2002 Ford F-250, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow 4' Turbo Back exhaust with 5' tip, Diablo Programmer, Rear drop shackles, Full Kicker system, Eagle 18' Wheels, 10 Ply Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 Tires

If I'm going to be in it everyday, might as well look good, their better looking than the stock metal ones that came on it!!! This is everything I've got done to my 2002 Ford F-250, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow 4' Turbo Back exhaust with 5' tip, Diablo Programmer, Rear drop shackles, Full Kicker system, Eagle 18' Wheels, 10 Ply Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 Tires

:musical-note:...and a partridge in a pair tree. :musical-note:

Apparently you've never been on an sk650. It will out perform the s600 in most categories. The controls on the s600 are more user friendly, but that's about where it ends.

Apparently you've never been on an sk650. It will out perform the s600 in most categories. The controls on the s600 are more user friendly, but that's about where it ends.

No, I actually haven't used a ditch witch before, but I heard the controls suck!!! and few other things I can't remember at the moment, but I know the Vermeer is better than the bobcat though.

No, I actually haven't used a ditch witch before, but I heard the controls suck!!! and few other things I can't remember at the moment, but I know the Vermeer is better than the bobcat though.

vermeer 600 is a very nice machine. very comfortable to operate and good power. Not bad at all and I would agree a bit nicer all around than a bobcat but only because of the dual joysticks controls and the ride on platform. Power and performance wise, they are pretty equal.

DW controls do not suck by any means. Boxer controls suck. Dw performance all around is superior to vermeer and all other mini skids I've tried (though I have not tried the vermeer 800 yet). The performance is what I keep coming back to. Comfort is important but performance is what counts.

Again, not knocking the vermeer 600. I've owned one. I liked it. I just like the ditch witch sk650 much better. I'd say the vermeer 600 is more in line with a ditch witch sk500 as far as performance goes. Of course, a diesel is always going to perform a little bit better than a gas though so the only thing the vermeer 600 has over the sk500 is that it has the diesel option.

I haven't found a mini skid yet that is entirely worthless. They all have some merit but some are certainly in the top of the class and some at the bottom. It all depends on how you plan to use it that really dictates which is best but the ditch witch, vermeer and bobcat machines are all very impressive to me and my favorite pics. if boxer comes out with joystick controls and a better hydraulic pump system so it doesn't starve itself out, their machine will be right up there too. That's what these manufacturers do though - they copy each other's engineering over time and they all benefit from it. Look at big skid steers. Now everybody makes them and they're all pretty similar in performance and comfort of operation. One manufacture makes 5 of the same machine, paints each a different color and they get marketed under the name of gehl, mustang, takeuchi or who knows what else but they're the exact same machine under the paint and logos.

Vermeer knows what ditch witch is doing, ditch witch knows what vermeer is doing, and they both know what bobcat has been doing for the past 50 years. Then there's the dingo. Ever really stood back and compared a dingo 525tx to a bobcat mt55? Any real difference...? Any difference between a chevy and a gmc other than the logo and the trim?

AP

Boxer is working on the controls, right now they have a retro kit out out to make them like the Thomas controls, just FYI.
Other than the controls, I still think Boxer makes some of the best machines on the market. But for the money, I'll keep rebuilding my Thomas!

Boxer is working on the controls, right now they have a retro kit out out to make them like the Thomas controls, just FYI.
Other than the controls, I still think Boxer makes some of the best machines on the market. But for the money, I'll keep rebuilding my Thomas!

Yeah, when I spoke with the engineers at mertz manufacturing a year ago about the controls on my boxer 532dx, they said they would let me know when the retrofit was ready and hook me up to do a field trial for them. Checked back a couple months later and they were still working on it. Never heard from them since.

Never owned or tried a thomas. A local basement repair guy has one and uses is for backfilling. I should ask him if I can take his for a spin. Finn and Kanga are also on my list of machines to try - and that vermeer 800. Anybody check lately what the vermeer dealer tag is on a600tx diesel and 800tx? Last time I checked, they were around $24k and $28k without tax and delivery. Way overpriced when a dw sk650 is only a bit over $21k with delivery, setup fees and local sales tax. Not so long ago they too were overpriced at about $26k. Now a sk650 is barely more than a bobcat mt55 and, while I like the bobcat minis, they just aren't in the same class as the sk650.

If bobcat wants to keep up with the competition, it needs to add a 30hp+ model with faster travel speed, higher lifting height and a built-in operator platform. The mt52 and 55 are just too much alike. Buyers don't have enough options with minis as they do with full size skid steers. At the very least, bobcat engineers could scrap the mt55 or redesign it to be the larger model. If they're smart, that needs to happen soon. There's no reason bobcat shouldn't offer something comparable to the older 553 model or the newer s100 - something to compete with the competition's larger machines.

AP

I will let you all know about the s800tx as I should take delivery of mine in the first or second week of January. Sticker price was 27,5 but I outfitted mine with a branch manager grapple, scoop, and rake attachments and will come out to 34 and change out the door. Spendy yes but the power and compactness is what I was looking for plus the hi/lo hydro is a major plus for me as I am heading into other venues aside from just tree work. I want to eek out every potential $ that machine has to offer and then some.

Back