Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still want a Mini, even tho I bought the skid loader, I want that BMG, thing looks like a dream for draggin brush.

I too am interested in a comparison with the sk650 and vermeer 800. How many of you use your mini's to clean up (raking or whatever)? I have been trying to justify one for a while but I don't know if I can. I recently bought a crane and I have a 43 hp ford tractor I have used for loading logs. Now we usually use the crane. Access is only a problem 10% of the time if that, I can usually get the truck or tractor close enough to the tree. The biggest positive I see with a mini is it will fit in a much smaller space for transport whereas the tractor needs a 18' equipment trailer. But the tractor will pick up a 2000lb log. I don't think any tree services around here have minis, the biggest tree service around here that can afford whatever they want run swinger 2000 loaders.

I too am interested in a comparison with the sk650 and vermeer 800. How many of you use your mini's to clean up (raking or whatever)? I have been trying to justify one for a while but I don't know if I can. I recently bought a crane and I have a 43 hp ford tractor I have used for loading logs. Now we usually use the crane. Access is only a problem 10% of the time if that, I can usually get the truck or tractor close enough to the tree. The biggest positive I see with a mini is it will fit in a much smaller space for transport whereas the tractor needs a 18' equipment trailer. But the tractor will pick up a 2000lb log. I don't think any tree services around here have minis, the biggest tree service around here that can afford whatever they want run swinger 2000 loaders.

I use my mini from start to finish on tree jobs. Haul the mini skid to the jobsite on either my chip truck or on a trailer along with my sc252 grinder. Use the mini to move my genie tz50 lift into position for the pruning or removal work and then back out again. Sometimes, I'll use the mini for light rigging (pulling branches up and away from structures, etc through a rigging block or pulling over trees in addition to the use of wedges). Then, I'll forward brush and logs to street where i feed it right into my 18" chipper or load larger logs onto a dump truck or dump trailer, then use it to pick up raking piles. I'll grind the stump with either my 30hp mini skid stump grinder attachment or with my sc252 and then use the mini to clean up the grindings and forward dirt to the hole. Load it back up and on my way to the next job. If I don't need the aerial lift, one truck setup does it all. Problem with a big skidsteer or tractor, as you mentioned, is you have to have justification to take it to the jobsite on a seperate trailer. So, as is often the case, it gets left at the lot because you figure it's not worth the trouble and you break your back cutting trunk sections up into little chunks to load by hand. If you have a mini skid, you'll be more apt to utilize the equipment you have. It's a very efficient piece of equipment for what it does. It will not always replace a big loader but for those small/medium size jobs, it's great and, for those big jobs, it really works well along side a big loader by forwarding stuff out of the tight work zone to bigger work area where the big loader can get to it more easily.

AP

AP

I believe there is one guy on here who use a asv 30.

gr8scott used to own one but don't know if he still hangs around here to chime in. he liked his I believe. personally, i don't see any advantage over a 30hp mini skid unless you need a bit higher lifting height and want to sit down on a seat and have a cab. Obviously, there are advantages to that but that same tiny cab is also a PITA to climb in and out of. I used to have a bobcat 371 and it felt like I was a sardine being squished between two crackers. Couldn't move my knees when I got out of the thing they were so stiff. Also, can't get that tall cab under tree canopies as easily as a mini skid.

I picked up a used RC 30 recently after pondering a mini for most of the year. I dubbed around the yard with it a bit and really liked it but have it torn apart now because one of the drive motor seals is shot and didn't want to leak oil on a job. Around here most of the job sites I am on are 2+ acres so speed, lift height and capacity were a factor. Currently I am using a Kubota L4240 but wanted something more compact.

Does any one use the ramrod minis? The lift height seems low but the "carrying capacity" is impressive. I assume that is what it will pick up of the ground and move.

Mini Skid

I too am interested in a comparison with the sk650 and vermeer 800. How many of you use your mini's to clean up (raking or whatever)? I have been trying to justify one for a while but I don't know if I can. I recently bought a crane and I have a 43 hp ford tractor I have used for loading logs. Now we usually use the crane. Access is only a problem 10% of the time if that, I can usually get the truck or tractor close enough to the tree. The biggest positive I see with a mini is it will fit in a much smaller space for transport whereas the tractor needs a 18' equipment trailer. But the tractor will pick up a 2000lb log. I don't think any tree services around here have minis, the biggest tree service around here that can afford whatever they want run swinger 2000 loaders.[/QUOTE

The S800TX will blow the SK650 away, the new S650TX thats comes out this fall is worth looking into also.

Does any one use the ramrod minis? The lift height seems low but the "carrying capacity" is impressive. I assume that is what it will pick up of the ground and move.

My friend has a ram rod with tires. I borrow it alot. With forks on it, it will pick up and put in back of a dump trailer 48" dia pieces of pin oak. You have to put a few weights on the back for counter balance but it works great. He cant get his stump grinder for it to work well, but Idk why. It will run a 3' auger, not as fast as a big loader but good enough.

I lucked into a good deal on a Ramrod 900T this fall. I've been very happy with it so far. I had previously rented a Dingo 420 for some jobs. I much prefer the Ramrod. The controls are better for me, and the lift capacity is considerably better. The lift height is the same. (I think) The Dingo didn't have the ride on platform, and at the end of the day I was REAL tired of walking around behind that thing. The Ramrod is so much simpler engineering wise than the Dingo. It would be very easy to work on. Overall I've been very impressed with the Ramrod. It may not hang with the newer bigger Ditch witch or Vermeer machines, but I paid a fraction of what those machines sell for. I'd definitely reccomend one for tree work.

Went down to Landscape Congress Expo in Toronto yesterday. Good show.
DW dealer has two 2010 (2011?) SK650 demos on sale "show special" One ~30 hours, the other ~75. Asking $18,500 if I remember correctly, but they only have the 44" bucket, not a grapple. Tempted, so tempted, but wife is hostile to the notion, and selling the kids is out of the question.
Wondering if that is a good price? Don't think that price is negotiable.
Am trying to preserve my body to last another 10 years in this business, and I'd like to cut down the $$$ paid out to brush/wood humping donkeys.

Went down to Landscape Congress Expo in Toronto yesterday. Good show.
DW dealer has two 2010 (2011?) SK650 demos on sale "show special" One ~30 hours, the other ~75. Asking $18,500 if I remember correctly, but they only have the 44" bucket, not a grapple. Tempted, so tempted, but wife is hostile to the notion, and selling the kids is out of the question.
Wondering if that is a good price? Don't think that price is negotiable.
Am trying to preserve my body to last another 10 years in this business, and I'd like to cut down the $$$ paid out to brush/wood humping donkeys.

CALL ME! I'll sell you a like-new 2008 sk650 with 455 hrs and brand new wide tracks for $14,500. see pic attached (old tracks shown).

605-228-9350 scottView attachment 216951

mini skids

thomas gt25 track machine with a branch manager grapple outstanding machine the best for tight spots and no lawn damage ...

Can you convince the wife, Arborpro?
Other minor detail to consider (besides poverty) is my location is 2+ hours drive north of Toronto.
The devil is in the details, but I'll call you.

Dave

Can you convince the wife, Arborpro?
Other minor detail to consider (besides poverty) is my location is 2+ hours drive north of Toronto.
The devil is in the details, but I'll call you.

Dave

I also have a sk500 for less than half the money of that 650. good starter machine until you have the bucks to jump up to a 650. I can put you in touch with a couple tree guys who use the 500 if you want to get their opinion on it. give me a call.

scott

...shipping is also less of an ordeal and cost than you might think. I could easily ship to MI or NY and you could pick it up there.

...shipping is also less of an ordeal and cost than you might think. I could easily ship to MI or NY and you could pick it up there.

Maybe something can get finangled.
Gonna give you a buzz after I have a wee chat/beg/plead session with wife. She is a lovely person, but has sharp teeth.
I had reckoned SD was about as far away as Argentina.

Hey Peloris,
Mention to your wife all of the money you will save in labor. Your employees will be happier and you will get jobs done faster. Guaranteed. I would take arbor pro up on the offer. That's a great price and those machines will last.

Latest posts

Back