Best Offer Blackwood Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My fatherinlaw has 2 logs of blackwood aprox 2 foot in dia by about 15 foot long he is in the Mt Gambier South Australia area,they have been feld for about 2 years.Ideal for milling,can supply photos going over there this weekend if required.Best offer,rare timber.

My fatherinlaw has 2 logs of blackwood aprox 2 foot in dia by about 15 foot long he is in the Mt Gambier South Australia area,they have been feld for about 2 years.Ideal for milling,can supply photos going over there this weekend if required.Best offer,rare timber.

Nothing rare about blackwood around here , there's heaps of it growing around here , I live at Hatherleigh about 15k's from Millicent or about 75k's from Mount Gambier . Cheers MM

Last edited:
Location, location. location... one man's trash is another man's treasure. Not that blackwood would ever be "trash", but it does follow that the value of wood greatly depends on how much of it is available in that area. My BIL from the west coast salivates every time he comes east and looks at my stacks of furniture grade PA cherry. It doesn't grow out there, and thus good stuff is pretty pricey where he is. On the other hand, I'd love some Pacific yew, madrone and some Port Orford cedar he can get cheaper than I can.

Location, location. location... one man's trash is another man's treasure. Not that blackwood would ever be "trash", but it does follow that the value of wood greatly depends on how much of it is available in that area. My BIL from the west coast salivates every time he comes east and looks at my stacks of furniture grade PA cherry. It doesn't grow out there, and thus good stuff is pretty pricey where he is. On the other hand, I'd love some Pacific yew, madrone and some Port Orford cedar he can get cheaper than I can.

Hi Dave Yeah Blackwood is not rare , but it's not cheap either and I just reread the original post , 15' footers certainly would be worth a bit , but Blackwood is primarily used for cabinet making , veneer or furniture , have never heard of it being used for anything structural . Cheers MM

Absolutely right Woodshop. Even a short trip (450 miles) back too the Berkshires of western Mass where I grew up now amazes me. The difference in the amount of hardwoods there compared too here on the Maine coast is just stunning and give the whole landscape a completely different look. People do look at me strangely though as I rave about it. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back