Best Online Source for tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcocn

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Hello all!

The P&C for my MS290 is in the mail and should be here any day. I wanted to pick up a stud removal tool and a flywheel puller and some dirko too for that matter.

My local source is not very keen on selling me any tools so I was hoping that someone could direct me to a good online source.

Alternatively, is there a generic flywheel puller that I can buy? The Stihl one seems pretty simple and there should be a reasonable facsimile out there?

The stud removal tool I am looking into as well and may have a source for that. Can anyone give me the thread specs on the bar studs for my 290? I am not even sure if they are metric or SAE, although I suspect metric in this case.

About the dirko ... is there another type of sealant that does the job equally well or should I use the dirko only?

While I am at it, is there anything else that I should look at picking up (compression tester, vacuum tester, etc)? I mainly plan to work on my own saws. Chances are that I will look for cheapies that don't run or run poorly and fix them up.

If I can get everything I need from one online order that would be best as it would save me on shipping and customs fees.

Thanks

The stud pullers are available everywhre - 8mm.

The flywheel "puller" for the 029 is just a thread protector. Use the nut wound out so the end of the crank is protected. Stihl dealers aren't suppoed to sell tools (many do) and "genuine" are hard to find mail order. Cheapstihlparts on ebay has a few.

There are many alternatives to Dirko (Search AS for "dirko"), but Dirko is really good...

Yes, you'll need a pressure and vac tester. Mity-vac (auto-parts store) for vacuum; bulb type for pressure. Make sure you get the correct type of compression gauge - one with a schrader valve at the tip.

Last edited:
A good trick is to back the flywheel nut off a few threads, put a socket on the nut and then while holding all the weight of the motor by the flywheel whack the socket . This protects the nut from damage and will usually free the flywheel on 1 or 2 whacks.

A good trick is to back the flywheel nut off a few threads, put a socket on the nut and then while holding all the weight of the motor by the flywheel whack the socket . This protects the nut from damage and will usually free the flywheel on 1 or 2 whacks.

Don't you need a third hand to do this?

LOL ... well, all innuendo aside :D .... it seems that I can do without a flywheel puller, and can buy a set of stud removal tools that include one for an 8mm.

I found some sealant (the honda equivalent), and can easily round up the vacuum and compression testers since those are more generic items.

Thanks for the input!

PS .... I asked the stud removal question in another thread and ended up buying a universal one - doesn't quite work for Stihl bar studs, but will definitely come in handy on my tractor refurb!

rep' a comin'! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back