Best overall OWB / Manufacturer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPS. LLC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We will be breaking ground on our new house in late February/early March. I wanted to get your opinions on who makes the best OWB. I know this may be an opionated question, but if I go with an OWB, I want to do it right the first time!

I'm looking for durability, efficiency and reliability. Hopefully, cost won't be a factor. If I go with an OWB I want a unit that is as maintenance free as possible, meets EPA certifications (since I think they're just going to get worse) and will last

One that I found was the central boiler e-classic series...I am still considering the indoor unit, but my wife is considering moving her business home and would require another building. I think having two structures to heat is the main deciding factor for the outdoor unit...now if it ends up happening, I wanted to make an informed decision.

Any advice, pros/cons and your experiences are appreciated.

Got 1 friend with a Mahoning. He can burn coal if he chooses and it has a fuel oil back-up. If he goes out of town his wife can let it burn out and the boiler will run on fuel oil.

Another friend has a Hawken. Not rated for coal, and no back up.

Not that burning coal is for everybody, but it's kind of nice to throw a few lumps in when you're getting low on wood or lazy.

Of course the Mahoning costs more.

Good luck choosing, there are many manufacturers out there.

Got 1 friend with a Mahoning. He can burn coal if he chooses and it has a fuel oil back-up. If he goes out of town his wife can let it burn out and the boiler will run on fuel oil.

Another friend has a Hawken. Not rated for coal, and no back up.

Not that burning coal is for everybody, but it's kind of nice to throw a few lumps in when you're getting low on wood or lazy.

Of course the Mahoning costs more.

Good luck choosing, there are many manufacturers out there.

I went to both of their websites...Mahoning's website gives very little information about the units. Neither manufacturer mentions anything about being EPA certified. I do like the idea of a back up heat source though, although I'm not sure it is necessary.

I got a card from Central Boiler last week that said they would give you $3500 in trade for any brand boiler toward the purchase of a new EPA rated Central Boiler. Combine that with $1500 tax credit, if yu get it done in the next three weeks, for a total of $5000 off. For $3500, I would find a burnt out boiler on CL, and drag it on down to the lot...:D

You may want to look at an Econoburn...it's a "gasifier" type boiler and they have an outdoor model. I believe some other manufacturers are also looking at outdoor models. Be sure you locality does not have any regs against OWB's or that they aren't planning any restrictions.
We use a Wood Gun but it's indoors. You can make any indoor unit an outdoor unit if you build a shed to put it in. Happy with the WG..go thru about 4 cords per year.

I have a Wood Doctor HE5000 gassifier and love it. They make a 8000 and 10000 also. I hear that they are getting as much heat out of the 8000 as the 10000. It is a slightly different design. You will see a poster on here under a couple of different alias' that is "slaming" wood doctor. I feel bad for his problems, but don't let him scare you off of the gasser wood doctors. I know nothing of the standard models.
Do some research on the e-classics, they had some issues when they first came out with a cracking burn chamber but they may have fixed that issue by now.
I can tell you, my wood doctor only smokes when I refill with wood and then it is LESS than my neighbors on both sides with indoor wood stoves. 99% of what I burn is good seasoned wood. Occasionally I clean up the yard and the branches produce heat too.
another source of info... http://www.**************************/forum/

Just to throw my two cents worth in, Look at Empyer by profab. I have the pro200 gasser and love it into my second season with it. You can check out my other post for install and some hickups along the way also...Also a great company to work with...they always answer the phones and are quick to help a fellow out....That's really important...on there web site they have some nice videos and good illistrations on how the unit works....

:givebeer:

I read up on wood boilers for 3 years before I pulled the trigger. First I come to realize I wanted a true gassifier not one built as a second thought from a boiler. I wanted a gassification boiler company that has been around for years and been proven reliable. I wanted efficiency as cutting wood is a lot of work. I wanted a pressurized system to avoid corrosion issues and not have to worry if my boiler was higher or lower then my heating appliances without having to use check valves.

If I was building new again I would go with baseboard heaters and infloor heat ( which we did do in the basement ). That way I could of utilized lower temperature water which translates to better efficiency ( less wood ).

Before you make your final decision read read read. Another good place is **********. Some of the people on there get carried away in there heating layouts, some are efficiency zealots which is good but scare some people. Some on there are heating some amazing structures with very little wood.

With my garage and house which = 4,468 sqf I use less then 5 chords a season, using a ECKO 40 with out storage..

Good luck in your search

I read up on wood boilers for 3 years before I pulled the trigger. First I come to realize I wanted a true gassifier not one built as a second thought from a boiler. I wanted a gassification boiler company that has been around for years and been proven reliable. I wanted efficiency as cutting wood is a lot of work. I wanted a pressurized system to avoid corrosion issues and not have to worry if my boiler was higher or lower then my heating appliances without having to use check valves.

If I was building new again I would go with baseboard heaters and infloor heat ( which we did do in the basement ). That way I could of utilized lower temperature water which translates to better efficiency ( less wood ).

Before you make your final decision read read read. Another good place is **********. Some of the people on there get carried away in there heating layouts, some are efficiency zealots which is good but scare some people. Some on there are heating some amazing structures with very little wood.

With my garage and house which = 4,468 sqf I use less then 5 chords a season, using a ECKO 40 with out storage..

Good luck in your search

How long have you been running the Eko? I agree about Hearth site...lots of info...just take your time and digest what's most important to your application.

I'm assuming you have infloor heat, and would just add the baseboards? I would guess the baseboards would allow more heat than just the infloor lines. I wouldn't mind them in the basement, but I don't know if I would want baseboards on the upper levels. We will be building in PA, which by far doesn't have the harshest of winters, can I get by with the infloor heat everywhere, or should I have baseboards?

I would like to keep the garage area in the 45-50 degree range in the winter...as well as heat my hot water and possibly a hot tub.

I'm assuming you have infloor heat, and would just add the baseboards? I would guess the baseboards would allow more heat than just the infloor lines. I wouldn't mind them in the basement, but I don't know if I would want baseboards on the upper levels. We will be building in PA, which by far doesn't have the harshest of winters, can I get by with the infloor heat everywhere, or should I have baseboards?

I would like to keep the garage area in the 45-50 degree range in the winter...as well as heat my hot water and possibly a hot tub.

I have infloor in the basement but forced air for the house and shop. A sidearm for hot water. The reason I would put in baseboard in the house is baseboard heaters will run and heat at much lower water temps then forced air. Forced air needs to be about 180 f. where baseboard and infloor will heat even at 130 f. The lower the water temp and still keep house temps up the more effecient. It takes a heck of alot more wood to keep 180 versus 130-140. At those temps as time goes buy ( which I can`t do now ) may decide to add solar and really cut down on wood usage. Less wood usage means less work and time spent. I ain`t getting any younger ya know.

I have infloor in the basement but forced air for the house and shop. A sidearm for hot water. The reason I would put in baseboard in the house is baseboard heaters will run and heat at much lower water temps then forced air. Forced air needs to be about 180 f. where baseboard and infloor will heat even at 130 f. The lower the water temp and still keep house temps up the more effecient. It takes a heck of alot more wood to keep 180 versus 130-140. At those temps as time goes buy ( which I can`t do now ) may decide to add solar and really cut down on wood usage. Less wood usage means less work and time spent. I ain`t getting any younger ya know.

So, it sounds like I would be ok with heat in the floor without baseboards. I wish solar was a little more affordable...

I am in the process of making my own outdoor wood gasification furnaces.I have my build thread over on the Outdoor wood furnace info web forum that the link was posted to earlier.I am under the same name thier as here.
I don't own any other wood boilers.I am making mine from scratch so I have no brand loyalty to any manufactuers out there.I will say i am quite impressed with the NAture's Comfort brand of units.I do have a friend who just put in a GT-500.He is heating to large homes with it,plus DHW for both houses.He is also going to be running a snow melt loop on his steep gravel drive next year on it.
I met the owner of the company,and his son when they brought out my friends unit.He definatly knows his business about stove design,and what works.
If I was buying I would be looking at those units.I hope mine works as good as the ones out on the market when it is done.

Best OWB

The best advise I can give you is one word GASSIFICATION!!! BUY A GASSIFIER. I researched owb's for over a year and looked at several in operation. I settled on the Natures Comfort GT-220, been running for 5 weeks and working good so far. Another is the portage & Main optimizer 250, a very impressive boiler!! Happy Hunting :laugh:

The best advise I can give you is one word GASSIFICATION!!! BUY A GASSIFIER. I researched owb's for over a year and looked at several in operation. I settled on the Natures Comfort GT-220, been running for 5 weeks and working good so far. Another is the portage & Main optimizer 250, a very impressive boiler!! Happy Hunting :laugh:

Yes I believe these are the 2 best gassifiers on the market.They are both built real nice.
That's what i have based my boiler I am building on.I have combined features from both companys into my own design.I hope to have it fired up by the weekend.

http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/

If I was to buy a OWB again I would get a Portage and Main. I have a Central boiler now.

I better built boiler IMO.

I had a look @ the site, the product is very similar to mine (Heatmaster SS, manufactured by SteelTech in Manitoba), maybe same??
http://www.heatmasterss.com/
I've had a HeatMaster SS 10,000 model now for 3 winters without any problems...LOVE IT!
The unit is good for 10,000 sq.ft., we heat 2 buildings with a total of approx. 7,000 sq.ft. The 1" pex runs are: 250' to the house, & 100' to the shop (2 x pumps).
I burn approx 7-10 cord/year, softwood (white pine, only).
The unit operates flawlessly, I set it @ 165 & it stays within -0/+2 degrees.
I was going to buy a Heatmor until I saw one of these units but, they're not cheap ($11K).
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, or recommend it to others.
Cheers.
Paul

I'm in my first year w/ heatmasterss5000, so far I love it can let it go 16 -18 hours and just stir coals around and it'll take back off. Really like the ash pan clean out also.

Latest posts

Back