Best Saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treecutr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know I asked this a few months back, but.... Just got back from Army training, need a refresher. Looking at getting a Weaver cougar saddle because I've heard it allows a much greater range of motion, and comfort. plus it's in the $200 range. anyone have any oponins on this, or a similarly priced saddle?

I have the cougar and like it. IMO it's a terrific saddle for the money. Here's my comparison to the old Weaver style saddle I was using from an old thread:

This is the saddle?

{Weaver Red Saddle}

I own one of them and the Cougar too. The lack of a rigid batten can tend to squeeze your legs together if you're hanging for a while with that red Weaver which has a butt strap design. That red Weaver is much easier to get on and off than the Cougar. The rope bridge on the Cougar does offer some more flexibility when limb walking as do the individual leg straps. The Cougar's wide back is more comfortable. So if you're hanging around for a while the batten seat will be the most comfortable but also it will give you the least mobility since it's like have a piece of wood strapped to your butt. IMO for $200 the Cougar is a good saddle especially if you're not just hanging around. There are a lot of things to consider when purchasing a saddle. IMO no one saddle will be perfect for every situation that you may encounter when aloft. You need to weigh all of the options and choose accordingly.

Last edited:
do not believe anyone when they tell you the stiff seat hinders movement. they don't know what they are talking about.

get the cougar with the seat if you only want to spend 2hundo.

im with OD deffinitly go with a batten seat once you try it youll never want to climb on anything else again

a saddle is personnal preference.

you might have to buy two or three to find one you like.I have and I'm still not 100% happy.I'm about ready to start making my own.

the seat never slowed me down and if your groundies are slow,you will be glad you have one.I don't have one now on my Butterfly and I don't miss it actually but it is a nice feature.and I would have bought the Dragonfly if they had had it in stock. not sure if my next saddle will have a seat but I don't think the Ergo is available with one.

im with OD deffinitly go with a batten seat once you try it youll never want to climb on anything else again

What is best Ford/Chevy, Stihl/Husky, blondes/brunettes?

There is NO best. There IS what is best for you. Try them all, see which you like.

Dave

Last edited:
Back