best starting kind of rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WASTATE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm deciding which climbing line to buy. I have climbed a few times and have used Samson ArborMaster and nothing else. I guess Im just trying to figure between a 12 and 16 strand. Its my understanding that the higher strands are smoother in hardware? Is this true? I plan to do a mixture of spurless/hip thrust climbing and some small removals in the hooks. Any advice on the best rope to get for the money and my uses, Thanks!

If you are running it in hardware, consider a slimmer ~11mm (7/16) line.

I run mostly hardware for climbing and use New England fly. It's a fantastic rope that renders well in hardware and is also very affordable. You can get 150' for less than$100.

I'm deciding which climbing line to buy. I have climbed a few times and have used Samson ArborMaster and nothing else. I guess Im just trying to figure between a 12 and 16 strand. Its my understanding that the higher strands are smoother in hardware? Is this true? I plan to do a mixture of spurless/hip thrust climbing and some small removals in the hooks. Any advice on the best rope to get for the money and my uses, Thanks!

I know you asked between a 12 strand and 16 strand and I hate to answer with neither and definitely not 12 strand but… Take a good look at the double braid Poison Ivy. It works well both SRT and DrRT And has a good diameter to work with most mechanical devices. Probably one of the most popular ropes sold.

I started on 16 strand blue streak and yellow jacket and still use it and like it.

My latest one is Vortex and I really enjoy it. It can be used ddrt and srt, has low stretch and

has nice hand. I prefer the 1/2 inch rope to 7/16 for the extra diameter to grab a hold of.

X2 on fly really tough to beat for the money, works well in a closed system, split tail or eye to eye, runs well through ascenders, knots well, has a nice soft hand, very good rope.

maybe I should know this but whats double braid?
Some catalogs have a great explanation of double braid. It is good to know but asking is a good start.
Nutshell. It is a 24 strand braided rope that shares its strength from both inside and outside where 16 strand is mostly outside and kernmamtle is mostly inside.

X2 on fly really tough to beat for the money, works well in a closed system, split tail or eye to eye, runs well through ascenders, knots well, has a nice soft hand, very good rope.
Do you know how it might compare to my Sterling HTP kern? It must take sewn eyes right so if I wanted a sleve style friction saver I would have to have it installed permanently correct?

PS. I just read that it can be spliced. Might have to try some.

Last edited:
Do you know how it might compare to my Sterling HTP kern? It must take sewn eyes right so if I wanted a sleve style friction saver I would have to have it installed permanently correct?

PS. I just read that it can be spliced. Might have to try some.

It'll have a lot of bounce compared to HTP.

maybe I should know this but whats double braid?

A double braid rope is a rope that has a braided sheath or mantle, and a braided core or "kern". A "kernmantle" rope therefore is one with a sheath and core. Double braids can be made with 12- strand sheaths up to almost any sheath yarn count. But typically in the arbor world, they are 16- or 24-strand sheaths (some yacht braids have 32-strand sheaths). The core is likely made up of 8, 12 or 16 strand construction. A double braid rope typically has a softer "hand," than say a parallel core (like Sterling's HTP) construction rope. You might also experience more "sheath slippage" on a double braid (where after use, the sheath gets milked past the core). Sterling's HTP is also a kernmantle rope, but it has high strand/sheath yarn count sheath over what looks like many mini 3-strands for core, running parallel (instead of being braided) up the center. Double braided ropes are easiest to splice. Sterling's HTP will be stiffer and have much less stretch. It is recommended for SRT.

x2 on poison ive

X2 on poison ive. Blue moon is the exact same rope. Treestuff.com has great deals on rope. Poison ive and blue moon have a nice feel in the hand, even with my right pinky that cant grab rope due to a spy role fracture.

Blue Streak is tuff, as in strong, incredibly durable and long lasting.

Poison Ivy is a great rope, but I'd get the Poison Hi-V, because it's easier to see, the PI is hard to see in brush and it could easily get cut by mistake.

The 24 strand double braids run smoother through gear and hitches, they pick a little easier, but if you're using them correctly it's not too much of a problem.

I'd get one of each. There's always times when you'd rather use the Blue Streak, or the Ivy, or the DB, depending on the job.

Has anyone used Petzl rope for Arb work?

I see no reason to. You can get a static/low elongation of equal or better quality for less. My local county SAR has petzl rope and we've used it for lots of high-angle rescues. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another static rope.

Back