Best Timberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one off Amazon...it may seem slower but man its nice not having to worry about tipping the dirt cutting up a firewood size log.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I will bite. What is the timberjack you speak of? And yes I have been around the forestry industry since the 60`s. The name,timberjack has been used for many items/machines.

lol.......My ignorance. Sorry.....I am thinking of the lever thingy stand thing for keeping the grandsons from digging up rocks while bucking some firewood.

I have one every time I buck up a large bunch of wood I bring it.It is a great tool for those who are afraid to cut in the ground it helps to roll a log to move it.I very rarely use it as it slows the job job to a snails pace .I try to make up for the lost time time by bucking up with the mighty Stihl08s but it's fruitless.Ha Ha.
Kash

I've had the spot welded, "made in America" one that Baileys & Madsens sell. I have a nice cast Dixie, and an old Oregon steel tube timberjack. The Oregon (yellow with red Oregon sticker) was by far, the best. Largest opening and best balance/lift, & handle length. The Dixie is pretty good and usable with decent handle. That "Made in America" timberjack, was almost useless. Poor balance, short handle, and wire sticking out from the wire feed welder, with poor looking welds too.

A 30 tonne excavator with a log grapple.
A 20 ton will lift most tree trunks off the ground here, anything a 20 can`t lift would be too big for firewood. The bucket along with a ,thumb , attachment will get them off the ground well enough.

I just use a Peavey and a stray log. That way if I need a Peavy, I have a Peavy, and if I need a "Timberjack" I have a "Timberjack."
Why complicate things with over-specialized tools?
Anyway, most of the time where I cut, there's 6" of leafmold and forest litter on the ground, so I don't have to worry about rocking the chain, but if I do...

A 20 ton will lift most tree trunks off the ground here, anything a 20 can`t lift would be too big for firewood. The bucket along with a ,thumb , attachment will get them off the ground well enough.

True- but that reply was made before the OP explained his definition of a timber jack. Like you said- it can define many tools other than a cant hook with a riser welded on.
At that stage he may have been looking for a 450 skidder with grapple attachment, a 50 tonne bottle jack,, or a cant hook. I picked a machine that could cover all three of those and a few more. ;)

Length of handle often depends on what diameter of logs you plan on rolling over with it, I have 3 different ones the shorter 48 does the majority of rolling for my use, 24" dia and under, my 60" gets used occasionally and the big 72" has only been used a handful of times in my life.

Latest posts

Back