Best time of year to cut firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No skeeters I cut wood. Layed off I cut wood. I pile it all summer when I getr from where I can, then split and stack it by spring.

Above freezing and below 100 degrees- I say 80 degrees but during the Summer the lazy wood cutters(those who only cut in the Fall and always burn green wood) wont cut anything when its warm. So when the good opportunities arise- I like to cut. Most people would have plenty of wood if they would cut 1 or 2 days a month all year.

Above freezing and below 100 degrees- I say 80 degrees but during the Summer the lazy wood cutters(those who only cut in the Fall and always burn green wood) wont cut anything when its warm. So when the good opportunities arise- I like to cut. Most people would have plenty of wood if they would cut 1 or 2 days a month all year.

Yup, the best CL finds are when it's hotter than Hades.

Back in the early '80s when I got "voluntold" into cutting firewood with the BILs, the old-timers said the best time to fell trees for firewood was in late fall. The leaves are gone, the sap ain't running and you're not sweating like a pig in the mountains.

The way they figured, rounds were easier to split and weren't as heavy. Dad used to say chain loops ran longer in the fall weather before needing sharpening. :)

Latest posts

Back