Best time to buy wood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Reaction score
Gents:

I have just enough wood to last me thru the winter but next year I'm SOL unless I stock up soon.

Should I buy a few cords now or should I wait til spring/summer when the weather warms up ?

Locally split Eucalyptus run about 250 per cord & up, would I be able to save some money if I wait til weather warms up to buy, or would I risk not being able to find any because no body is burning wood by then ?

Thanks.

If you're looking for wood for next year, and you're buying it green, you want to have bought it last year.

If you're looking for wood for next year, and you're buying it green, you want to have bought it last year.

explain this one to me please? ... i'm burning wood i cut this year without any problem (green) and if i leave it til next year it most definitly will burn like a house a fire. Why do you need 2 years seasoned wood? if it was bought green now by the time summer comes and goes if its split it'll be ready to burn and then some i'd think. I'm also NOT going to get into the idealogical arguement about smoke (i could care less) or "getting the most out of your wood" because i don't have to buy it. I also don't have an EPA stove. Anyways, just wanted the insight there

If i was you I'd try buying it green but split now and be ready to burn it next year.

Buy your wood with enough time to ensure that it will be dry! Make sure it has nice wide cracks in the ends of the splits to verify that the wood is dry. If the wood is not dry, you are up the proverbial creek with out a paddle.... Lots of creosote and a chimney fire to boot!

Wood dries out a lot faster out west. With very little humidity it makes a big difference. Most wood will be ready to burn in 12 months out here.

If you were in Utah I would say to buy it now. Everybody and their dog is selling it this year and are under cutting each other in price. I have seen it advertised for $100 a cord. The going price seems to be $150. Last year I was getting $200 a cord and sold everything I posted for sale. This year I have dropped my price to $180 and still have over half left of what I set aside to sell, about 8 cords. I will hang on to what I have left if I can not sell it for $180.

As a rule I would say that mid summer would be the best time. Low demand. Make a note of who is selling it now and give them a call July 1st.

Seasoned or green, the price is the same. I don't jack my prices up in the winter. I am not like the oil companies I would rather cut in the winter than in the summer. But heck I cut year round anyway.

Ray

Best time to buy is early spring when demand is down and you can be sure its pretty much seasoned by the time you need it.
Best time to cut is when the saps down and so is the bugs.

explain this one to me please? ... i'm burning wood i cut this year without any problem (green) and if i leave it til next year it most definitly will burn like a house a fire. Why do you need 2 years seasoned wood? if it was bought green now by the time summer comes and goes if its split it'll be ready to burn and then some i'd think. I'm also NOT going to get into the idealogical arguement about smoke (i could care less) or "getting the most out of your wood" because i don't have to buy it. I also don't have an EPA stove. Anyways, just wanted the insight there

If i was you I'd try buying it green but split now and be ready to burn it next year.

Wood does dry faster here than other places I have lived. It gets very hot, is almost always sunny and is always windy. Most species get very dry in 8 or 9 months. Even Oak is dry within the year if stacked in the sun. I see ads for green wood that are around $10 less a rick for green. I think you should buy now to ensure that you have dry wood next year.

Seasoned or green, the price is the same. I don't jack my prices up in the winter. I am not like the oil companies I would rather cut in the winter than in the summer. But heck I cut year round anyway.

Ray
:agree2:

Buy wood? This doesn't compute. Doesn't paying for wood defeat the whole purpose of heating with it? :biggrinbounce2:

We run a little firewood selling business, wood is the same price 365 days a year. Doesn't make any difference if it is seasoned or green, same price.
Like the others the best time to buy is before you run totally out. It just burns my azz when customers call up in a panic, need you to drop everything and deliver wood because they were too damn stupid to call a few days in advance.
Hell, if they are a good customer, I don't need to have the money the day I deliver, I'd rather wait on getting paid than the last minute 8:00pm call, I need wood tonight bs.

Latest posts

Back