Best Use For Ashes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This winter has been interesting weather wise and right now our laneway is a sheet of ice for about 100 yards on a slight incline. I took a grain scoop type shovel and sprinkled about 3 shovelfuls right out of the owb in the wheel tracks and it worked great. Also works great if someone is stuck on ice, put some under the wheels while they are turning. I'm sure most you already know this but I thought I would pass it on.

I just dump them in the woods. I am sure this spring I will be able to see where I dumped the ashes, should green up nice!

If you burn coal like we do, the cities and boroughs use the ash for cindering the streets. All the older people still carry a tub of ashes around in the trunks of their cars in case they get stuck and for the added weight, even though they are driving front wheel driven cars.

blakey's suggestion is a good one...if you have a mud room or some such place close to the door to kink off your boots. I did this onece and caught holy he!! for the tracks I laid all through the downstairs of the house.

Nowadays, I cast my ashes over the lawn, which is nice and green. A sustainable way fertilizing the fescue! And with snow on the ground, I don't even need to worry about any embers.

i keep them in a galvanized trash can on my porch. almost 4 cord or wood fits inside a trash can lol. then i drag the can to the woods and tip it over. i switched to a wood stove this year as it heats much better and i dont thign one trash can is gonna cut it anymore. actually maybe tomorrow ill go dump it out before i empty the stove :)

In years past they always were saved for melting snow on the walks , the driveway, neighbors driveways, street in front of the mailbox and the garden. This year I am storing most of them for potash lye to make a bit of bio-diesel.
The charcoal will get sifted out for the grill, again. Clinkers will go in the garden.

There is always somebody getting stuck out front so I might have to sacrifice a little for traction to get them on their way.

A modest amount of ash can be good for most gardens and lawns, especially in traditional wood-burning areas, because of what the cumulative effects of acid rain have done over the years, in general, to decrease average soil pH.

However, because ash raises pH, you want to avoid spreading it around plants that do better in more acidic soils. For example, a friend wondered why his blueberry crop went to zilch the season after he dumped almost all of his winter's ashes near the blueberry patch. :bang:

Ash is extremely water soluble, so it'll do its pH-raising work much faster than traditional limestone. That means you need to be using it as a fertilizer/soil enhancer in moderation -- too much and you'll have really basic soil.

Same goes for adding ash to compost -- composting is more acidic than basic; too much ash could actually shut down the composting process. Plus, composting is slow enough this time of year for anyone in Hardiness Zone 7 or lower without adding in more slowdown from adding ash. I don't start adding ash to my compost bin until mid-March at the earliest, and even then just give it the one ash can in the Spring and one in early Fall.

All that said, the best decision starts with being well-informed. So if you're looking to use ash to do something with soil pH in an area of the landscape that matters to you, do a soil test first so you have some data that can help you determine how much ash to be using in this way.

In my flower gardens, peonies absolutely love the ash -- peony flowers get bigger and more prolific each year now that I've been giving them a shovel of wood ash every winter.

A modest amount of ash can be good for most gardens and lawns, especially in traditional wood-burning areas, because of what the cumulative effects of acid rain have done over the years, in general, to decrease average soil pH.

However, because ash raises pH, you want to avoid spreading it around plants that do better in more acidic soils. For example, a friend wondered why his blueberry crop went to zilch the season after he dumped almost all of his winter's ashes near the blueberry patch. :bang:

Ash is extremely water soluble, so it'll do its pH-raising work much faster than traditional limestone. That means you need to be using it as a fertilizer/soil enhancer in moderation -- too much and you'll have really basic soil.

Same goes for adding ash to compost -- composting is more acidic than basic; too much ash could actually shut down the composting process. Plus, composting is slow enough this time of year for anyone in Hardiness Zone 7 or lower without adding in more slowdown from adding ash. I don't start adding ash to my compost bin until mid-March at the earliest, and even then just give it the one ash can in the Spring and one in early Fall.

All that said, the best decision starts with being well-informed. So if you're looking to use ash to do something with soil pH in an area of the landscape that matters to you, do a soil test first so you have some data that can help you determine how much ash to be using in this way.

In my flower gardens, peonies absolutely love the ash -- peony flowers get bigger and more prolific each year now that I've been giving them a shovel of wood ash every winter.

yup...like i said,works great on horseradish

I burn in an old style coal funace. I clean out the pit with a big coal shovel, carry it out the basement door and fling it out into the yard. Just watch what way the wind is blowing.

I have been spreading my ashes over a 2 track that goes around behind my shop, it sure keeps the weeds away but gets dusty sometimes when I run the mower by.

Kansas

Latest posts

Back