Best way to clean chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been reading several threads on grinding chain and cleaning the chain has come up repeatedly as important for reducing heat while grinding.

What's the best way to clean a chain?

I've soaked it in kerosene (no good). I've put it into an ultrasonic cleaner with kerosene (no good). I've tried simply hitting it with a brush in kerosene (gets a little off, but very tedious). I was hoping to avoid using gasoline or having to purchase a parts washer. Spending 15 minutes per chain is out also!

Ideas?

May I ask?

What exactly is on your chains that need to be cleaned off?
My chains are always just a little damp with oil. Never even enough to worry about when I sharpen. The wheel on the other hand needs to be kept clean on the grinder.I just hit it with the little stone that came with it and it is good for several chains. Good luck

When cutting sappy trees, especially yellow pine, you get a buildup of resin that can turn black on the tooth if you are doing long cuts or bore cuts. Pretty tough stuff.

Oh we do not own

any pines. Other than the two 8 foot tall ones I planted in my front yard. so I have no pine experience

easy off oven cleaner. spray on, wrap chain up in plastic grocery bag, let sit overnite. rinse off with water, oil it up after grinding. fast, easy.

Clean chain

We use full strength ammonia. Put 1/2 gal in an old 1 gal paint can. If you have an extra dip can parts basket you can use that so it is easer to remove the chain from the can. Let them soak 10 to 15 minutes and they will brush clean. If they are burnt or heavily coated it will require a longer time to soak. It would be best to soak them in oil after they are sharp.

AJ

I've been reading several threads on grinding chain and cleaning the chain has come up repeatedly as important for reducing heat while grinding.

What's the best way to clean a chain?

I've soaked it in kerosene (no good). I've put it into an ultrasonic cleaner with kerosene (no good). I've tried simply hitting it with a brush in kerosene (gets a little off, but very tedious). I was hoping to avoid using gasoline or having to purchase a parts washer. Spending 15 minutes per chain is out also!

Ideas?

Before you try all the chemicals you might make a cut through some dry cedar , it has blasted the sap off of circular saw blades and chains for me .

I think I'll try putting the chains in the oven while my wife is cleaning it, transfer them to the dishwasher for a quick rinse with the dishes, hang them on the window while the wife washes the windows with Windex-with-Ammonia, then take a few cuts through her cedar hope chest, before dropping it into a can of Crisco. I think that about has it covered!

I appreciate the tips. I hope to give a few of them a try next time I get some dirty, sappy chains. Sometimes they do get a little burnt when I do some milling work, so it will be interesting to see which method works the best.

Thanks for the help!

strange, i've never had to clean my chain even thou i cut plenty of sappy trees (pine and spruce)...

But it might be that i file my chains by hand, who knows...

strange, i've never had to clean my chain even thou i cut plenty of sappy trees (pine and spruce)...

But it might be that i file my chains by hand, who knows...

Ditto. At most I get some resin build-up on top of the teeth after loooonnnng cuts in big wood.

yes, it's the heat from milling that cooks the stuff on. you get it almost with any species. oven cleaner will take it all off. get original easy off, if you can. makes the chain look like new.

Try this..

I've always used a strong grease cutting cleaner like Greased Lightening or Mean Green. Spray the chain and let it sit for about 10 minutes and hit it with a stiff brush and let it sit a few more minutes and brush it again. Rinse it off and hit any tough spots again, shake it out and hit it with some WD 40 or other penetrating lubricate. I've done this for a while and it really gets rid of any pine tar or sap that gets into the cutters and I have yet to see any rust. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back