Best Way to Get Ahead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huh always though it was White Oak that took longer to dry. tighter cell structure or some thing .Whiskey barrels made out of it as tends not shrink or something. But then too many bottles of JD has likely alterd my thinking:confused:

blades,

I can only speak for the ones we have in my area so things might be a bit different around NA.
Northern Red oak is the main one here and a real slow drying wood, looks dry in 6 months but burns quite poor until about 2 years, at 3 years it's awesome firewood.
I hear that most red oaks are long term before they are primo firewood but Northern Red might be the king of slow LOL

White oak I think is pretty similar around NA for drying times.
At 6 months it's ok firewood at 1 year pretty decent but at 2 years burns like a champ.
Lots of people that burn white oak at 1 year or less are a little disappointed in it and even stop White oak hunting.
To bad also since the next burning season it's like night and day difference.

JD is pretty good with either while you wait :)

huh always though it was White Oak that took longer to dry. tighter cell structure or some thing .Whiskey barrels made out of it as tends not shrink or something. But then too many bottles of JD has likely alterd my thinking:confused:

I always thought that it allturd my thinking. :D

Back