Best way to make your OWB last.

• Thread starter Deleted member 117362
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 117362

Just read an article that stated, best way to extend your OWB life span, Dry Burn. Have seen many OWB in service and have owned two, this is the number one way. Only load enough wood into boiler that will last until almost completely burnt to ash. You should see bottom of fire box at least couple times a week. Seasoned wood is still holds about 20% moisture, moisture is your boilers enemy. Have seen people pack boiler full, time after time, burnt wood stuck to side of fire box with larges clumps of creosote, then wonder why they need a welder. Dry Burn, water ph, water treatment and inline filters will all add life to OWB's. Know this is common sense, but have seen it happen more than once.

In other words - load for the load? Good advice - people all too often load it as full as they can, to get the longest possible 'burn time' they can. Which too often just makes for longer smoldering times.

I would also add return temp protection to the list. Some have it built-in. Avoiding periods of time with boiler return temps below 140 will reduce creosote condensation in the firebox. If below 140 is a constant, almost guaranteed accelerated firebox corrosion.

I've been burning seasoned wood from the start. Less smoke, more heat, just makes sense. I get a 24+ hour burn with a single row stacked at the front of the box, 16" wood. I see boilers on CL for sale with a big black streak under the front door, sure sign of a green wood burner.

Lots of factors involved in life span of an OWB. Stainless, boiler plate, mild steel or any of the other steels out there. Mine is stainless and according to lots of others brands sales people is living on borrowed time. Not real sure of year could be from 93 to 97 build date, plate was never punched and I bought it used and it may have sat for a few years. This is the 1st year I haven't burnt year around. I also load for the load and have approx. 500 gal of water around it which also helps. I heat 2 houses and a shop with it so I don't have long smoldering times. In the summer I burn mainly papers flyers and spruce construction lumber cut offs. I also burn poplar but it's dry and stored inside and is usually just fall and spring when load demand is lower but enough to burn and not idle too often. There is nothing wrong with over sizing your OWB but it's just plain silly to overload it to the load each time.

The bottom of mine is firebrick. Does having an ash/coal bed of a couple inches hurt the life as the OP suggested? This is my 7th year of owning my first boiler and I would like make it last. It's also a gasifier if that matters with this topic.

The bottom of mine is firebrick. Does having an ash/coal bed of a couple inches hurt the life as the OP suggested? This is my 7th year of owning my first boiler and I would like make it last. It's also a gasifier if that matters with this topic.
You should maintain a layer of ash in the bottom at all times it will protect the bricks on the bottom and wear less.

Back