Best way to package a saw for shipping??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgraham1

I feel old
Reaction score
I've bought a few saws via the internet, and sold a few the same way.:)

I've seen some interesting packing jobs. One saw I bought showed up with the bar sticking through the end of the box. I've seen boxes stuffed with packing peanuts (which I hate:mad:) , newspaper, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, etc... And I've seen a few saws with nothing else in the box but a powerhead bouncing around. I've seen some full of gas and oil, too.:eek:

I'm just wondering what the "experts" do to keep their saws safe during transport? I'd hate to have one of my saws damaged during shipping...:cry: Thanks!

What I have seen is a box filled with small plastic coke and water bottles. What I have done is put the saw in a plastic garbage bag and use spray foam for transport protection. Let it dry a day and off it goes.

I wrap all my saws with bubble wrap off a big roll we have here at work. I pretty much make a bubble wrap cocoon with a chainsaw in the middle. Then put more packing material in the bottom of a box, place the saw in and start shoving more packing material all around it and on top. Packing peanuts, Styrofoam whatever. Then I tape the **** out of it. The final test is to shake the box. If I shake it hard and there is no movement, I am good to go.

I have literally received dozens of saws in the mail and the best packing job was on the 2 Homelite 8800's I received Wednesday. The seller was not a saw guy but did it right, double boxed, well wrapped and tightly packed.

He had a new neighbor move in and their furniture was wrapped in the padding he used (it was stamped with the name of a moving company in New Zealand). Below is one of the powerheads.

image.jpg

Once I got the outer wrapping I found the saw in a cacoon of shrink wrap.

image.jpg

The chain brakes were wrapped separately and given the same treatment.

image.jpg
image.jpg

The bars were wrapped in the same fashion. It literally took me a half an hour to unpack everything, who knows how long it took him to do it. Of course I was cutting the tape to reuse his padding.

Nice wrap job on the saw!

A few days ago, a friend ordered a bar off feebay.
Was a "new old stock" bar with none of the original packaging
and the seller just wrapped it in a bit of brown paper and lightly taped one end shut.
you all know the ending to that story....
Only the EMPTY wrapper got here.
I should have snapped a couple of pics for y'all.

I can vouch for LowVolt packaging up a saw that can go around the world 10 times and still arrive undamaged!! He does a first class job!
IMO peanuts are not a major issue if you are only receiving a saw not on a regular basis (so im fine with peanuts). But for the ones that flip saws and saw builders (receiving and shipping several saws a week) than I can see where peanuts will make you pull your hair out in a hurry.

I can vouch for LowVolt packaging up a saw that can go around the world 10 times and still arrive undamaged!! He does a first class job!
IMO peanuts are not a major issue if you are only receiving a saw not on a regular basis (so im fine with peanuts). But for the ones that flip saws and saw builders (receiving and shipping several saws a week) than I can see where peanuts will make you pull your hair out in a hurry.

So recycle them on the next one that goes out....

Best packing job I've seen was when I bought a 5hp engine from the old Northern Hydralics (now NT).
Engine wraped in plastic and the box filled with building foam. Nothing moved and a ***** to remove from the carton.
Even UPS' 600 pound gorilla couldn't damage that engine.
FREDM

I have always used the foam method. Start with cardboard box and cut a extra layer of cardboard in the bottom. Put the saw in a plastic bag. Cut some blocks of folded cardboard or wood so the saw rides a inch or so above the bottom of the box. Then spray some foam under the saw and around the blocks. Set saw in and add more foam to lock it in. Add some corner blocking of cardboard and another layer of cardboard on top locking those in with foam as needed. Might be overkill, but if you've ever tried to settle a shipping claim of a few humdred dollars you would do it in a secure way too.

WDO

I always double box saws. I put the plastic wrapped powerhead in a box it will fit in. I then wrap the bar and tape that to the first box, I then put all that in a second larger box. I have never used foam because it's expensive but my stuff gets to its destination in good shape. I never pay for insurance because I've come to believe it's a waste. I just put the effort into packaging. If I use peanuts (I will if I have them) I notify the recipient of such.
I use foam pipe insulation to protect the box from the bucking spikes. If the saw is properly packaged it will not get damaged regardless of how rough it gets handled.

I might try some of these in the future...
image.jpg
Thanks for all the replies. Any other ideas?

Latest posts

Back