Bids/Sales techs and ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
With busy season upon us thought might rehash anybody's ideas on sales techniques and equipment.

For the first time ever I went from single forms (double sided) on a clip board with carbon paper to 3 part quote/contract forms. MAN....whot a diff. Show up, flap the lips a little, part company with the ho...then presto enter the truck and return with a done deal. Leave the pink copy in the truck.

Either they sign, sit on it for a while and mail it back later or go to the can and wipe their posterior with it. Whatev,,, I am done...no mailing or forgetting to mail with them impatiently waiting. Donedy.

I like a little more time to think about it. I almost always use Quickbooks to fill out the estimate and then email it to them. I try to tell them a timeframe for when I will have the estimate to them to keep me from procrastinating.

I have found over the years that my first impression is on the money. Not too high, not too low. In retrospect most of the time I look back and think...that is just a fair bid, any lower and I don't want, any higher and my clients may consider not paying the little extra that my service usually costs over most others in my niche area.

If I bid 10 jobs on Sat. then 5 or 6 on Sun. and now with daylight savings, all the weekday bids, hey if you put some off they multiply like rabbits. With the 3 part carboned form there is no fumbling around and easy to complete. Insurance certs. on website listed on card (given upon meeting) and est. double sided forms with all credentials.

I have found over the years that my first impression is on the money. Not too high, not too low. In retrospect most of the time I look back and think...that is just a fair bid, any lower and I don't want, any higher and my clients may consider not paying the little extra that my service usually costs over most others in my niche area.

If I bid 10 jobs on Sat. then 5 or 6 on Sun. and now with daylight savings, all the weekday bids, hey if you put some off they multiply like rabbits. With the 3 part carboned form there is no fumbling around and easy to complete. Insurance certs. on website listed on card (given upon meeting) and est. double sided forms with all credentials.

That's exactly how I do it and for the same reasons. When I get done estimating I want to be done. I couldn't imagine getting back to the office and having to type up or mail 20+ estimates. I love the three part sheets, no fuss no muss just done

Very rarely do I leave the site without giving them a copy of the written estimate. Only time I usually do is if it is a very large job that I need to think over and get numbers for. Sometimes when I need to talk to the crane co and figure out the best setup or crane size. I have my agent fax or email an individualized insurance certificate with the HO's name and specific address.

I am about to try getting away from hard copy estimates altogether. I am looking at software to have bid sheets/contracts signed electronically. Hoping this new IPad will allow me to be more productive and organized.

Sounds like a good idea.

I'm trying to figure out "invoice 2 go" on the iPad. I hope to get that dialed in, then have a mobile printer in the truck for those jobs when the clients are there.

Alot of my work (removals) is in cottage country and usually there are no clients around when I drop by for a quote. No mailboxes either. In most cases I'll phone them or email the estimate.
By writing/typing it on the iPad, it's already in electronic form.

Well........

That's what I'm hoping for anyways.:msp_rolleyes:

Sounds like a good idea.

I'm trying to figure out "invoice 2 go" on the iPad. I hope to get that dialed in, then have a mobile printer in the truck for those jobs when the clients are there.

Alot of my work (removals) is in cottage country and usually there are no clients around when I drop by for a quote. No mailboxes either. In most cases I'll phone them or email the estimate.
By writing/typing it on the iPad, it's already in electronic form.

Well........

That's what I'm hoping for anyways.:msp_rolleyes:

I haven't got my IPad yet so I haven't been able to play with any of the software. I have been hearing good things about invoice 2 go. Do you have the option to customize your bid sheets or is it just cookie cutter forms that you have to choose from?

I haven't got my IPad yet so I haven't been able to play with any of the software. I have been hearing good things about invoice 2 go. Do you have the option to customize your bid sheets or is it just cookie cutter forms that you have to choose from?

I bought the app for the iPad and just recently loaded it on my desktop (free 30 day trial) - you can customize them there. That's the part I'm trying to figure out now. It would be worth it for you to put it on your desktop and set it up while you're waiting for the iPad.

You're gonna love the iPad.:hmm3grin2orange:

You guys just using generic forms from an office supply?

To me the bid/contract form is the most important of the many forms I have. You often do not have the job yet and it is being considered and it a perfect chance to show you really got your schit together. I have all the trade associations, credentials, website, etc on the front and contract stipulations, esp. my liability in the case of failure of a tree prior to our arrival or failure during our initiation of job if pre existing conditions left the outcome out of our control....on the back side.

Sometimes you run into a very poor person (hey they can pay too or have insurance) or a non tech ie that doesn't even want the internet. They cannot get an internet bid. Also this will leave you doing work at home sometimes or subject to internet failure during storms which is often why you are on the property giving the bid.

I have noticed anytime I lower the price after leaving the site..... I am usually shooting myself in the foot. Generally my first impression of price is right on.

I have a computer and printer in the truck so I can type and print them an estimate on the spot then scan a copy if they decide to sign it right there. I would just write them out but I had bad hand writing before I seriously injured my hand.... now it barely looks like scribble.

When I am busy and have a bunch of estimates to get to I usually just email the customer the bid once I get home for the night. As long as I get it out quick enough I have never had an issue. Since I am a new company and don't have a lot of repeat customers yet most people I am dealing with are getting multiple bids. I am usually the first to get a written one to them whether I email it or not, they generally sit on it day or two and let me know they'd like to schedule. I live in a very tech friendly area and it seems most people would rather just get it emailed to them. I also email invoices and people can pay online right then and there.

Some companies around here just email or give them a number and that's it. I have a quote form that briefly explains my liabilities as well as penalties for nonpayment. Also I give very detailed descriptions of the work not just "prune maple tree". I think people appreciate the detailed descriptions because they know exactly what is gonna go down and if we don't do what we said then they have it in writing. I allow people to confirm jobs by sending an email or leaving a voice mail confirming they want the work done, I let them know that is the same as signing the contract (it's even written on my contract). For larger jobs I always get a signed contract.

I worked with my business partner on ideas, and just typed out an estimate form on the computer. It is pretty simple, with our contact information (including names/address/phone numbers), date, price, description of work to be completed, and a short checklist at the bottom to inform customer of intentions for wood and wood chips (cut into firewood and leave, dispose of firewood, chip up brush and leave, not even chip up brush and leave, or dispose of everything). We just use an old fashioned piece of carbon paper so we can keep a copy for ourselves.

As for invoices, we purchased a two sheet (white and yellow) carbonless invoice form that we got from eBay. They are relatively small, and work quite well.

As for listing credentials on the estimate form, I don't really understand the purpose. I always make it a point to talk to the customer in person, that way I can quell any worries they might have. I always carry proof of licensing and all of my insurance paperwork (as well as business cards for my insurance agent) that I will gladly provide in full to any potential customer. We also talk with customers about other trees which might need work, and try to make small talk with them to prove that we are an honest company that will do an honest job. It just shows to the customer that we know what we are talking about.

Speaking of this topic, we got outbid here this past week on a job we thought we had locked in. The customer contacted us and asked if we wanted to come look at the job again to see if we can outbid the other company. Come to find out, the company that outbid us is one my partner used to climb for. We informed the customer we couldn't beat his bid, but that we would meet it and that we couldn't start as quick as the other company promised (and he decided to use the other company). On our way out, my business partner just warned the customer to ensure the climber doesn't look strung out (as he is a huge pill head), and the home owner immediately wanted more info. Come to find out, the other company was really sketchy and just didn't seem honest. So, looks like we will get the job anyway just because we demand on meeting the customer face to face.

~Will Courtier~

Speaking of this topic, we got outbid here this past week on a job we thought we had locked in. The customer contacted us and asked if we wanted to come look at the job again to see if we can outbid the other company. Come to find out, the company that outbid us is one my partner used to climb for. We informed the customer we couldn't beat his bid, but that we would meet it and that we couldn't start as quick as the other company promised (and he decided to use the other company). On our way out, my business partner just warned the customer to ensure the climber doesn't look strung out (as he is a huge pill head), and the home owner immediately wanted more info. Come to find out, the other company was really sketchy and just didn't seem honest. So, looks like we will get the job anyway just because we demand on meeting the customer face to face.

~Will Courtier~

First let me say welcome.It's been so long since I've posted I feel like a newbie myself.
Not trying to tear your post apart but,,,,,,,the way you've written it sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee badmouthing the guy just to take a job.You may wrestle away some work from him this way but comes across as unprofessional imo.Listing your positives ,creds,experience,etc. is one thing but come right out and call a competitor a ''strung out pill head'' could get you in a lot more trouble than any temporary gain.
If a potential client ask me about another CO. I stick with the old adage''If you have nothing nice to say,then say nothing at all'' Rolled eyes,a deep sigh or a shaken head can let them know of your regards of them without you going on record if ya know what I mean?

Good stuff! I SO need to get the 3 part, I am real guiltY of having my bids in note books, then have to look back thru to find what I quoted. That third sheet (pink copy) would help keeping things organized. I tried starting a database, but that takes forever, even tho I should do it anyhow

I just throw numbers at em til they either bite or say " git off my lawn!" Then I scribble some stuff down soes we both have copies of what I said. If they try to bargin me down I jess say something smartassed like: " ya got a better chance of seeing God", " I have an idea, you do it" or " I am addicted to eating so no"

How I some time land the job

One trick I learned early is timing is every thing
i also learned to have my answer machine encourae them to call me on my cell phone'
I check my caller Id every day to make sure thay didn't suddenly get bashful.
i have picked up several jobs like this.

I get to the job asap. I show up ready for action. That is fully dressed, equiped with my card in hand. First I ask them how the found me. Than I always ask the home owner what he thinks the job is woth? Often times they will cite a number that is higher than I was going to bid. If they are too high I knock a little off. When they say "When can you do it? I say "Right Now" I can make more money on one trip to the site rather than two. Then I tell them they are going to have pyle of chips when I get done. but I will pitch fork it back in the hole and rake it in a pyle. Then I blow off the sidewal, patio. ect. If they want a price for removal I quote it. But it is a heck of a lot of work especially if it is a gigantic root ball blow over. I just purched asmall Bobcat and a dump trailer to haul it in.

I love my Carlton 7500 turbo diesel tow behind with wireless remote I also love those big 15' high by 20' wide root ball jobs.
Good Luck and be safe
Kenny

Latest posts

Back