Big Dead Red

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the biggest Red Oak I had on my property. It had become infested with grubs sometime before I bought the property. I was told there was no bringing it back. So I got stuck with the responsibility of removing it. The log you see is 36' long, 48" at the base and 33" at the top.
I'm still doing the cleanup.

milling

Unfortunately, I don't do any milling and neither do any of my neighbors. I have called a few mills (2) within 100 miles and only one of them is willing to come and take a look at the log. If they're not interested then it will be cut up for firewood and sold.

You could find a local sawyer to mill it for you. That is of course if you want the lumber. It looks like solid wood from what I can see.

There could be some good lumber in that big log.I have just a tad more than that,in these 4 logs,from a 107 ft red oak,I had to remove.Too nice to slice and dice for firewood.

Al Smith said:
There could be some good lumber in that big log.I have just a tad more than that,in these 4 logs,from a 107 ft red oak,I had to remove.Too nice to slice and dice for firewood.

Very nice looking logs Al and what a picture-esque setting too. Wishing on you many sharp cutters,cool temps, and a gentle breeze. :angel:

Back