Big doug fir leaner needs to come down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just curious if there is any seasoned old growth fallers around here. I have heard about guys jacking a tree right off the stump and it still barberchairing on them.

A set of double Silvey's is about as close to being a miracle worker you're gonna get on a big leaner from the ground. Here's a 6' 10" 17,000bf Doug fir out of Stirling City, Ca. with a single in it. 228' of saw logs. At least 250' tall. 084 with a 54" bar making the buck.

heli4.jpg

heli3.jpg

heli1.jpg

Last edited:
Buzz 880

Buzz 880

ArboristSite Operative
A set of double Silvey's is about as close to being a miracle worker you're gonna get on a big leaner from the ground. Here's a 6' 10" 17,000bf Doug fir out of Stirling City, Ca. with a single in it. 228' of saw logs. At least 250' tall. 084 with a 54" bar making the buck.

heli4.jpg

heli3.jpg

heli1.jpg

What size saw did you use for falling that monster?

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Yup...:D

We also had logging trains that ran through my hometown that had one, and 3 log loads on the cars.

Gary

:hmm3grin2orange: We had one too. It ran from Stirling City, through Paradise where I lived, and on down to Chico. It ran right below the high school and on Friday's we'd ditch school early and catch the logging train. We'd have to jump before it got into Diamond's mill but it never went very fast. LOL...that was a year or two ago.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
I thought it said 084 making the bucking cut.I see a another saw on the ground just wondered if he used a different saw for falling.084 is a big saw to lug around falling and limbing all day.:cheers:

Hey Buzz....

That was a strip my boy and I cut for Erickson Helicopter. It was about a 40 minute hike up river and we packed the 084 and the jacks in just to cut 4 or 5 big fir and left them both on that stump to be flown out later. I left 3 big fir that were hanging out over the river that looked rotten. Reason being, they told us if we got anything in the river it was 3 days in the electric chair. We cut the rest of that strip with 066's using 36" bars. It took us about 2weeks to finish the strip. :cheers:

heli2.jpg

Last edited:
aquan8tor

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Hey Buzz....

That was a strip my boy and I cut for Erickson Helicopter. It was about a 40 minute hike up river and we packed the 084 and the jacks in just to cut 4 or 5 big fir and left them both on that stump to be flown out later. I left 3 big fir that were hanging out over the river that looked rotten. Reason being, they told us if we got anything in the river it was 3 days in the electric chair. We cut the rest of that strip with 066's using 36" bars. It took us about 2weeks to finish the strip. :cheers:

heli2.jpg

Do you just bore the bar right in & plunge a cut at an angle to remove the pie wedge for the silvey jack?? I've never seen one, so I'm curious as to how they work. A climber I know said he saw another tree company using one on a big 4' poplar to correct a lean, but didn't see the cut for the jack being made.

Buzz 880

Buzz 880

ArboristSite Operative
Hey Buzz....

heli2.jpg

Hey Dennis
That looks like alot of fun minus lugging the jacks and the 084 for 40 min. i don't really like the thought of that.Do you cut much timber that size anymore?

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Do you just bore the bar right in & plunge a cut at an angle to remove the pie wedge for the silvey jack?? I've never seen one, so I'm curious as to how they work. A climber I know said he saw another tree company using one on a big 4' poplar to correct a lean, but didn't see the cut for the jack being made.

A top cut, bottom cut, and 2 bore cuts.(plunge)

heli5.jpg

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey Dennis
That looks like alot of fun minus lugging the jacks and the 084 for 40 min. i don't really like the thought of that.Do you cut much timber that size anymore?

I had to retire in 2003 Buzz....had both hips replaced from all that packing....Hahahahaha!
My boy still cuts a few 4 and 5 footers when working on the conventional side, but cutting mostly behind the processors now days.
Cut some big wood in the glory days though! Here's a nice sugar pine I cut in the mid 80's, out of Chester, Ca.
dc2.jpg

Buzz 880

Buzz 880

ArboristSite Operative
I had to retire in 2003 Buzz....had both hips replaced from all that packing....Hahahahaha!
My boy still cuts a few 4 and 5 footers when working on the conventional side, but cutting mostly behind the processors now days.
Cut some big wood in the glory days though! Here's a nice sugar pine I cut in the mid 80's, out of Chester, Ca.
dc2.jpg

What does your son just cut the oversized that the processor can't cut?Nice pic's Dennis love to see that big timber keep 'um coming.Biggest we get to cut here is 4-5 foot white pine and those are getting few and far between.There is still lots here they just don't paint to many to cut.

RPM

ArboristSite Operative
Seems as though this thread has evolved into a show and tell of big tree slaying - which is fine by me. As most of noted these monsters are few and far between. Although there are still a few lurkers out there.

This Doug-fir was located on southern Vancouver Island near Port Renfrew and measured approx. 10' 6'' across the butt and was about 60m (200') tall and measured out approx. 85m3 of nice tight grained timber in front of the mill.

There were several of these vets scattered throughout this block and in others within the valley. The Red Creek fir located just south of this area near Port Renfrew is reported to be the largest Douglas-fir in BC....note the top has been blown off a few times over the last few hundred years of its life.

http://www.portrenfrew.com/redfir.htm