Big log Splitter!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cslon33

Reaction score
So.. I am building a big log splitter with a 6" cylinder with a 4.5" ram. I am wanting some advice on the hydraulics. Will a 28 gpm 2 stage pump run this thing with decent speed. Thanks for the help.

id be installing a dump valve on the cylinder for sure. thatd be alot of oil to push back through the valve at a high rate of speed.

by my calculations using a 24 inch long stroke youd be forcing a little under 3 gallons of hydraulic oil through your hoses in 2.8 seconds. looks good on paper but that kinda flow creates alot of heat and would require at least a 30 gal tank and most likely an oil cooler. if you are having the cyl custom made you could have 1 inch ports machined for increased oil flow but then youd be slightly limited on your valve selection.

Last edited:
Unless you got that cylinder for free or really cheap I dont see the sense in running a cylinder that large, my splitter has split everything I've thrown at it up to a 58" across log and never backed down and thats only running a 4" cylinder. Design your wedge right and you wont need that huge cylinder, with a 4" cylinder 11gpm pump I can keep 3 people busier then they want to be. Just my opinion

Unless you got that cylinder for free or really cheap I dont see the sense in running a cylinder that large, my splitter has split everything I've thrown at it up to a 58" across log and never backed down and that's only running a 4" cylinder. Design your wedge right and you wont need that huge cylinder, with a 4" cylinder 11gpm pump I can keep 3 people busier then they want to be. Just my opinion

Do you have any photos of a properly designed wedge?

John

SSPX0282e.jpg

4 way is removable although I plan in the future to redo it and make it hydraulically adjustable as it only works well for just the right size logs,

But basically start real skinny and taper big after the first 2 inchs or so

So.. I am building a big log splitter with a 6" cylinder with a 4.5" ram. I am wanting some advice on the hydraulics. Will a 28 gpm 2 stage pump run this thing with decent speed. Thanks for the help.

It would be a lot faster with a 4" cylinder, but use what ever ya have i guess...

with his specs using the standard 24" stroke it comes to a 9.1 second cycle time. 6.3 to extend and 2.8 to retract. thats not slow by any means. box store models generally run around the 12-16 second depending on model and size. if you calculate it with a 4"cylinder and a 2.5" shaft (seems about comparable to 6" and 4.5 shaft) it runs a 4.5 second cycle with 2.8 extend and 1.7 retract. thatd be just way to fast and create a dangerous situation not to mention heating the oil

with his specs using the standard 24" stroke it comes to a 9.1 second cycle time. 6.3 to extend and 2.8 to retract. thats not slow by any means. box store models generally run around the 12-16 second depending on model and size. if you calculate it with a 4"cylinder and a 2.5" shaft (seems about comparable to 6" and 4.5 shaft) it runs a 4.5 second cycle with 2.8 extend and 1.7 retract. thatd be just way to fast and create a dangerous situation not to mention heating the oil

Real world cycle times will vary, I know mine should cycle around 13 seconds (by hydro calculators) but is more like 18 and thats in high speed mode, 2nd stage is much slower and you dont have to run the motor wide open, I run about half throttle so you can actually talk to each other while splitting

dump valve

id be installing a dump valve on the cylinder for sure. thatd be alot of oil to push back through the valve at a high rate of speed.

by my calculations using a 24 inch long stroke youd be forcing a little under 3 gallons of hydraulic oil through your hoses in 2.8 seconds. looks good on paper but that kinda flow creates alot of heat and would require at least a 30 gal tank and most likely an oil cooler. if you are having the cyl custom made you could have 1 inch ports machined for increased oil flow but then youd be slightly limited on your valve selection.

Do you have anymore infovor pictures of log splitters with dump valves.
Thanks

cant say that i do. ive only read about them a little. i think timberwolf installs them on their bigger splitters if im not mistaken. possibly iron and oak too. mite be worth checkin around on here with some of the guys or post a new thread askin to see pictures

cant say that i do. ive only read about them a little. i think timberwolf installs them on their bigger splitters if im not mistaken. possibly iron and oak too. mite be worth checkin around on here with some of the guys or post a new thread askin to see pictures

Thanks Jakers

A lot more goes into the cycle time than just a pump and cylinder. You need to be able to push that much fluid through the entire system including the valves, 90's and the return of the ram is a key issue. The dump valve is a HUGH plus to reduce cycle time. The elbows and 90's are usually overlooked on their flow rates in real time. Then comes the heat on a hot day as stated here by another member. The pump is what is driving the system but has little to do with overall flow in the real world of hydros.

I have several splitters and prefer to use my little 6 ton DR electric for most straight grain wood up to 16or18"" rounds. You can laugh all you want but it is a joy to use. No noise, it has a high table it goes on, no bending and the log catcher table is just too cool. It does take a bit to warm up the fluid in cold cold weather so I keep it stored inside most of the time. With the wedge sharp and the logs dry it will tear up red/white oak, elm, hard maple or locust in a heart beat. I polished the wedge face and reworked the entry angles and boy did that make a hell of a difference in how it works. It does have a two speed pump also.

Your type and viscosity of the fluid is another HUGE player in the cycle times.

If I told you what I paid for the splitter and booster table I'd have to kill ya lol.

Back