Big saw mini shoot out: 3120xp vs. 395xp vs. 066 vs. 143

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banshee

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had some time to kill today. So I thought I do some time cuts with some big saws.
I know these test of mine and not official and really have no bearing on what power head is truly the fastest.
But hey it's fun and it give me a reason to play with some big saws

The saws:

Husky 3120xp. Stock with rev limit coil and 36" bar with semi skip square chisel chain.

Husky 395xp. Modded with woods port, modded muffler, timing advanced, 28" bar full comp square chisel chain.

Stihl 066. Stock, 25" bar full skip square chisel chain.

Dolmar. Stock 24" bar full comp round chisel chain

The wood was a 17" season white oak. I know that it really isn't big enough to test saws of this size, but like I mention this was just a fun day. When I come across a 36" plus log then I will do this again and make it more official.

I only did 2 cuts a piece and the results were.

3120xp 14.3 and 13.9 with an average of 14.1
395xp 14.9 and 14.8 with an average of 14.85
066 14.9 and 15.5 with an average of 15.1
143 18.9 and 19.1 with an average of 19.0

I know in bigger wood the 3120xp and modded 395xp should have walked away from the others. I was actually happy with the Sthil not being too far behind the Husky and doing that with a full skip chain. The Dolmar was a disappointment, but it does have a crappy chain.

I may slap 36" bars on all of them and find some 36" rounds to cut and do a real big saw test someday.

Here are some pictures.

100_3909.jpg

100_3908.jpg

Last edited:
Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interesting. The skip chained un-modded 066 was within a second or less, than a "modded" 395 with full comp. That being the case, I would take it as full skip is not so slow as some propose it to be, which is what I have always felt anyways. There isn't much point in running full comp. and if there is a difference its about 1 second or less, so who cares?? It is way faster to sharpen and bores much easier, and allows the saw to rev up and cut without as much load and operator error with all the bogging and such. So at the end of the day, you will cut more wood.

Or that is my interpretation, LOL,

Sam

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
What sprocket on the 143mx? you should at least have a 8 tooth rim and even a 9 tooth if you can find one the saw has monster torque and need chain speed to race. Bury it in a 36" and then time the cuts..........

Scott

leeha

leeha

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What sprocket on the 143mx? you should at least have a 8 tooth rim and even a 9 tooth if you can find one the saw has monster torque and need chain speed to race. Bury it in a 36" and then time the cuts..........

Scott

I second that.
The 143 is not like the others tested.
Older and slower reving with ton's of torque.
With a good chain and big wood i bet
you would be a bit surprized.

Lee

Banshee

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
going off what I remember of running your 3120 in that 30" oak log at my place, I can say my 660(32" bar) WILL NOT cut through it near as fast as your big dog.

I was having some trouble controling it. Holding a stop watch and cutting etc. It was the first one I started cutting with. By the time I started cutting with the 066 I was getting the hang of it.
That's why more cuts would have been nice.
I think in big wood the 3120 would really show it's power than.

Banshee

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite

Scott

It has an 8 pin. A good chain would help it too. I've only had the saw a few days.
I absolutely love the thing. It's got my cad candle a burning again to say the least.
I would have thought it could have ran with the Sthil. Since the Stihl had a full skip chain.
But the 143 is an awesome saw! Any one who has a chance to get one. I really recommend one.
It will only do better when I get a new chain.
STILL LOVE THIS SAW!

Latest posts