395xp won't start after milling - has it overheated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unburnt oil puddles in the crankcase when the saw is shut off, thats the puff of smoke you see when it is first started up. That excess oil is what keeps everything coated and protected from corrosion when the saw is off and stored, Protected when the saw is running from heat from friction. The 1/4 teaspoon or less of oil you see dribbling from the muffler is no real concern. Next up you need to look at modifying the muffler conservatively to further reduce heat and increase exhaust flow, the bonus is a hair more power and less oily mess from the muffler.
I would love to do a muffler mod, or buy a modded muffler. However, that idea has been vetoed (for now) by my wife, who didn't love the idea of making a loud saw possibly even louder!

I would love to do a muffler mod, or buy a modded muffler. However, that idea has been vetoed (for now) by my wife, who didn't love the idea of making a loud saw possibly even louder!
I bought an empty muffler for my 395, with 2 nice, open ports. Making the saw a little louder is all I could tell that it really did. The factory muffler has a baffle or 2 but doesn’t seem to restrict it. It didn’t even change the tune, but maybe it keeps things cooler, I can’t tell. Right now the factory muffler has been back on it for a while, as I repair some braising on one of the ports. 395 mufflers seem to take a beating.

A couple more 3/8 exit holes but still retain the spark arrestor screen will make it only marginally louder, your wife will very unlikely notice the difference. Now if you put one of those goofy straight shot or other excessively oversized outlet mufflers on then you deserve your wifes wrath.

Yep, more oil, less rpms. Your aim isn’t speed with milling its longevity. With a decent oil you can run 25:1 and it will burn clean with the continued load and long cuts seen on a mill.

Turn that H out so it’s blubbering rich, get it under load on the mill and slowly turn the H in until it only just cleans up under load. Keep the chain sharp too.

I bought an empty muffler for my 395, with 2 nice, open ports. Making the saw a little louder is all I could tell that it really did. The factory muffler has a baffle or 2 but doesn’t seem to restrict it. It didn’t even change the tune, but maybe it keeps things cooler, I can’t tell. Right now the factory muffler has been back on it for a while, as I repair some braising on one of the ports. 395 mufflers seem to take a beating.
I would bet that there is some cooling action. Have you seen this post: https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...-sound-level-and-preformance.6199/#post-53547

These experiments are what convinced me that I need to do a muffler mod someday.

Yep, more oil, less rpms. Your aim isn’t speed with milling its longevity. With a decent oil you can run 25:1 and it will burn clean with the continued load and long cuts seen on a mill.

Turn that H out so it’s blubbering rich, get it under load on the mill and slowly turn the H in until it only just cleans up under load. Keep the chain sharp too.
I've been doing this nowadays: I tune so that it the 4-stroking just cleans up when I push the mill in the cut. It's working wonders!

I also keep the chain sharp as sh*t using the Granberg jig (highly recommended, btw). After doing this, I see why people love the 395xp for milling. I used to think this was a powerful saw but now I think it's an absolute beast. It stays cool & rips through big wood like it's nothing.

I agree, i never really beat my exhausts up on 346/372/390 too bad at all but my 394 exhaust gets all kinds of damage.....just seems the entire front end of the powerhead gets beat up to be honest more than on other saws....

I agree, i never really beat my exhausts up on 346/372/390 too bad at all but my 394 exhaust gets all kinds of damage.....just seems the entire front end of the powerhead gets beat up to be honest more than on other saws....
Might have to do with the size. The saw is seems like about a foot tall in the front. None of my other saws take such dents.

Back