Big Timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

I didn't know oak could look so beautiful. That's a heck of a slab!

Sorry that one is not oak. That is a Walnut slab. Yeah Oak can't hold a candle to walnut in my opinion. :greenchainsaw:

I thought that was some pretty odd looking oak but I'm such a noob I was afraid to ask for fear of looking noobish. Was it sanded or finished or is that just the raw cut?

Dug up and scanned some old photos from about 10-11 years ago when my uncle took a bunch of the church youth group up to Quesnel Lake, and we hiked in to see the big Cedars:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm at the far left, about 17 or 18 y.o. here.

attachment.php

No tape measure on hand unfortunately but it appears to be about 10' DBH. This is not the same tree as in the first photo. That tree, and many others, appeared to be even larger, but we didn't feel like fighting through the Devil's Club undergrowth to get there. The one we're standing around is right beside the trail. It was actually broken off not too far above the top of the photo - you can see a couple of the splits coming down through the bark. I'm not kidding you, the butt of the spar of the tree was a good 40-50' away from the stump, and this is on perfectly flat ground. Talk about falling momentum!

Not too many folks, even in town here, are aware that we have trees like this in the northern BC interior. It's really something to walk through them.

Awesome cedars !

Are they protected from logging ?

The name Quesnel sounds familiar. Is that close to Rich Hobson/Pan Phillips country ?

Yeah I don't think they'll be getting logged; they're right down in the bottom of the valley in a riparian area near creeks. Plenty like this have been taken out of nearby areas over the years and barged down the lake though.

The Quesnel River that flows out of the lake where these photos were taken flows into the Fraser River at Quesnel about an hour's drive north of here, where those guys used to drive their cattle to put them on the train years ago. Their ranch was a couple hundred miles to the northwest of where I live on the other side of the Fraser; this lake is 50-60 miles east of here up in the mountains.

Back