Big wood killing small saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the thread title should read "Big Government killing small saws". The epa limiter caps and lean carb. settings from the factories combined with a dull chain will kill most any small saw quickly.

Has anyone here heard of a small Poulan or Echo engine failure after a MM or proper carb. adjustment?

I would be willing to bet that a borderline lean tune and dull chain combined with an operator that doesn't know what a good tune sounds like or a sharp chain cuts like is killing these little saws. The long bars that tend to come on these type of saws probably doesn't help much either.

I have put lots of hours over several years on some small el cheapo saws. They are tuned a tad on the rich side. I can't stand anything but a sharp chain. Knock on wood I have never scored one. Out of five <40cc <$100 saws I have only had one failure and it was an oil pump.

I hear neighbors killing small saws all the time. Extended runs with no four stroking. In my mind's eye I can see them pushing and rocking the saw back and forth because the chain is so dull.

I have a 235E husky that I bought like 5 years ago. I gutted the muffler and have beat the crap out of it and it won't stop. That being said I have bought a few xp saws to take its place.

Back