bigger than expected...anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDRMNKY

ArboristSite Dork
Reaction score
Howdy...new, bold, ready for a jack-slapping. I have a Stihl 041AV Super Electronic inherited from my grandpa (may he RIP), that is currently in pieces and has everyone confused. Short story: quit running, tightened loose intake stack, replaced impulse and fuel hoses, spliced in new kill switch, new plug, etc...eventually pulled jug and found aluminum smeared on nikasil...muriatic acid on a Q-tip + 000 steel wool polish = purty...new 44mm aftermarket piston ordered...should have mic'd the old piston and bore...returned new piston...this brings us to present day...

the old (damaged with stuck rings) piston is 56mm, and the bore is a scoshe under 57mm

trouble is...according to parts guys, parts catalogs, and google searches (3 highly reliable sources)..I should be dealing with either a 44mm or 48mm piston and bore...

so I'm at a loss...looking for knowledge, resources, expertise, parts? I've got a couple 041 parts saws heading my way (yes for cheap), but chances are they'll have a 44mm piston and jug. I'm ALMOST resigned to assembling a "small" saw from parts, but I'd rather the uniqueness and authenticity be maintained. No, I'm not going the custom manuf'd piston route...that's a cop-out and expensive.

WSYa'll? (let the jack-slapping commence) Cheers!

never-freakin'-mind :bang:

idiot, 1 ea, (that's me) :jester:

when using old tools, never make metric assumptions

like... when you use an old mic, never assume that one side is SAE and the other metric...it's not metric, it's 64ths...that dia was 1 and 56/64 inches...which works its way out to 48mm...right

ok...jack-slap-away...

...and when enough jack-slapping-fun has been had by all, I'd appreciate a mod deleting this thread...rather not have misleading info in cyberspace

Cheers!

I have the same saw in pieces as a project saw and I got excited for a moment thinking I could put a large top end on it. Glad you caught your problem. Good luck with your rebuild. You might also want to get a carb rebuild kit while you have it apart.

Let me just say that I tried for a least an hour to cram a set of 46mm 029 Super piston rings into a 45mm 029 bore... :bang:

Good Hunting!

Not normally a pessimist, but I wish you good luck on finding that S041 Super 48mm replacement piston.

I have been looking for two years with no luck, it is a Stihl #1110 030 2003.

its not a 48mm piston his bore is almost 57mm!! Did they make a magnum 041. almost sounds like an 056 magnum which has a 56mm bore. they do kinda look similar. can you post some pics, maybe someone in the past changed some decals. There might even be a part number stamped on the cylinder.

its not a 48mm piston his bore is almost 57mm!! Did they make a magnum 041. almost sounds like an 056 magnum which has a 56mm bore. they do kinda look similar. can you post some pics, maybe someone in the past changed some decals. There might even be a part number stamped on the cylinder.

re-read post #2. he read the calipers wrong.

Dial calipers are always a good investment. You can get 'em for thirty bucks or so. Use your cheap calculator to multiply by 25.4 mm/in.

I must confess that in my thirty years as a plant engineer I mismeasured more than once. Maybe three times total,............................ yeah, right.

Boy oh boy..... Your first post......
Don't feel bad, I am well known as a person of doesn't measure and cuts 42 times.....

My German uncle used to say (in German): "I've cut this board twice and it's still too short!"

Back