Biggest/Most Memorable Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigremovals

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What was the biggest or most memorable tree you've taken down or trimmed. Mine would have to be this big old cottonwood snapped halfway up stock. took us two days to finish up.

This one.
69f2a615cd2030e7258cfb4277ec9ad8.jpg

100 plus feet up in a Eastern white pine...top of tree was just lowered onto the house roof. All the brush was lowered to the roof, carried across it, and tossed down to the truck.

0759c4828a489779c6fc22236396916c.jpg

e2be33ca46c80091550bb82190de6e94.jpg

climbhightree, how to you address the issue of using the roof top as a landing zone in your contracts?

climbhightree, how to you address the issue of using the roof top as a landing zone in your contracts?
This tree was back in 2006, and honestly I didn't address it. I had told her it was the only way to do the tree, period. Too tight, and too many wires for a crane (except for possibly a knuckleboom).

We had one small 2" limb (at most) break off the top, when it hit the trunk, and spear into the roof. So a couple shingles had to be replaced there. I don't recall who paid for it.

On a flat roof, we use plywood.

This tree was back in 2006, and honestly I didn't address it. I had told her it was the only way to do the tree, period. Too tight, and too many wires for a crane (except for possibly a knuckleboom).

We had one small 2" limb (at most) break off the top, when it hit the trunk, and spear into the roof. So a couple shingles had to be replaced there. I don't recall who paid for it.

On a flat roof, we use plywood.
One of the coolest removals I've seen! Nice job!

One of the coolest removals I've seen! Nice job!
2 day job with 3 guys, if I recall correctly. I made good money on the job, but was a job I could have charged a lot more on...probably double. The tree was pushng up both foundations.

Definitely on of the most technical trees I've done. The area this tree was in my bread and butter area...I do almost all the tree work there, and they all are tight.

I recently bid on another pine that is the same way, but bigger...and against both walls for 2 stories. Thankfully it is closer to the road (but still no crane access). Unfortunately there is no other big tree close by, so wood will be more tricky. In the photos above we transitioned the wood onto another pine, to lower it onto the road.

My first technical removal out on my own. Massive elm stuffed with all the goodies wires antique ornaments and it was hanging over a glass sun bathing room for the 2 male lovers that owned the home. They watched me laying in that room. I told them 3200 and they said when can you start they later told me the next bid was 5k lol young and dumb... ground man burned up a new 372 with straight gas and pulled the rope out of my 385xp ended up blocking it down with an old 2100. Never forget that one.

Climbing for about two weeks I bid 4 big red cedar removals. No business in a tree with a saw let alone an old 064. I had a husky paddle/peevey rig I was tipping over 8' chunks for split rail. 60' up they were 3' around. The lady next door said the rounds were hitting so hard I knocked her dish off the wall.
I have no idea how I even got the trees to the ground. I had no idea how to do tree work. But I had two things . Big balls and a fresh devorce. Wait.....that's 3 things.

Found the pic. I use it on my business card.

Attachments

• facebook_1424699608299.jpg
    facebook_1424699608299.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 63
Mine would be a monster oak that was right next to a freshly built million dollar home. The builder and all the subs were watching. HO's neighbors etc. Many could be heard saying I was surely going to F it up. Went up one side, bombed huge branches off the back. Went to the top, tied it off with our big line, hooked it to the skid loader, notched it and did the back cut until I could see it was opening up. Walked out, to what I thought was far enough. Told my GM to give it a whirl, he backed up, over it came. I thought I was far enough away, I wasn't. I could not have planned this any better, it made me look awesome. But when it came over, once I realized I was too close, it was too late. It hit and the top of it was at my feet. The wind/shockwave was massive. Blew my hat off (yes I was a ppe violator at the time) I light a smoke and tell everyone to get to work. LMAO, they all thought I called the shot, truth is I froze! I couldn't decide which way to go. Probably the closest I ever came to crappin myself. I played it off like it was not big deal and walked over to a truck. I had to take a minute to calm down I was shaking so bad. Tree could have killed me pretty easy if I was 10ft closer. But as far as the drop went, it could not have been better. That was like 16 years ago. Just a couple months ago, the HO asked her landscaper to get a tree guy in to due some pruning. She was pretty happy that it was me that does all his work. It was cool to go back there and reminisce.

Most memorable prune was also a oak, just a few years ago when a eagle or a falcon swooped in underneath me and picked off a squirrel! My ground guys where amazed that it did it while I was up there. It didnt give ****, it was hungry.

Most memorable prune was also a oak, just a few years ago when a eagle or a falcon swooped in underneath me and picked off a squirrel! My ground guys where amazed that it did it while I was up there. It didnt give ****, it was hungry.
lucky it didnt attack u lol

Well it's better then trying to figure out how he got the sag outa 600 feet of line to remove a 35' pine
emoji13.png

I have an answer for that,,and the pines were on average 60'-80' ft.
They have a lot of regulation's. We were on the Edison Bark Beetle removals in Lake Arrowhead in 2003.
There was a section that required no human impact that was in our way. You could not even put a footprint in areas like streams and such.
We took a 600' spool of 1/2" and took out slack with a capstan,,worked great over the stream we were not allowed to even get near.
If I remember right, we never sped out more than 150lbs at a time. The fine is not worth it.
Luckily, the trees were up on the mountain and the trees were down stream, at some spots we were more than 50' above the areas of no impact,
Mine would be a monster oak that was right next to a freshly built million dollar home. The builder and all the subs were watching. HO's neighbors etc. Many could be heard saying I was surely going to F it up. Went up one side, bombed huge branches of the back. Went to the top, tied it off with our big line, hooked it to the skid loader, notched it and did the back cut until I could see it was opening up. Walked out, to what I thought was far enough. Told my GM to give it a whirl, he backed up, over it came. I thought I was far enough away, I wasn't. I could not have planned this any better, it made me look awesome. But when it came over, once I realized I was to close, it was too late. It hit and the top of it was at my feet. The wind/shockwave was massive. Blew my hat off (yes I was a ppe violator at the time) I light a smoke and tell everyone to get to work. LMAO, they all thought I called the shot, truth is I froze! I couldn't decide which way to go. Probably the closest I ever came to crappin myself. I played it off like it was not big deal and walked over to a truck. I had to take a minute to calm down I was shaking so bad. Tree could have killed me pretty easy if I was 10ft closer. But as far as the drop went, it could not have been better. That was like 16 years ago. Just a couple months ago, the HO asked her landscaper to get a tree guy in to due some pruning. She was pretty happy that it was me that does all his work. It was cool to go back there and reminisce.
Mine would be a monster oak that was right next to a freshly built million dollar home. The builder and all the subs were watching. HO's neighbors etc. Many could be heard saying I was surely going to F it up. Went up one side, bombed huge branches of the back. Went to the top, tied it off with our big line, hooked it to the skid loader, notched it and did the back cut until I could see it was opening up. Walked out, to what I thought was far enough. Told my GM to give it a whirl, he backed up, over it came. I thought I was far enough away, I wasn't. I could not have planned this any better, it made me look awesome. But when it came over, once I realized I was to close, it was too late. It hit and the top of it was at my feet. The wind/shockwave was massive. Blew my hat off (yes I was a ppe violator at the time) I light a smoke and tell everyone to get to work. LMAO, they all thought I called the shot, truth is I froze! I couldn't decide which way to go. Probably the closest I ever came to crappin myself. I played it off like it was not big deal and walked over to a truck. I had to take a minute to calm down I was shaking so bad. Tree could have killed me pretty easy if I was 10ft closer. But as far as the drop went, it could not have been better. That was like 16 years ago. Just a couple months ago, the HO asked her landscaper to get a tree guy in to due some pruning. She was pretty happy that it was me that does all his work. It was cool to go back there and reminisce.
Good thing you got small legs!!!!!hahha!
Jeff

I had to finish this one for another tree service that got in over their head. The pictures were sent to me and the last one is where the tree was at when I took over. You can see a "climber" in the tree in the first two pics and the top of guys hard hats in one to get a size reference. The tear out was from storm damage but the branch above that the tree tards before me overloaded the rigging point and broke the branch. The whole branch was compromised so with the good rigging point destoyed I ended using a tag line to keep everything off the house. It wasnt a terribly difficult removal but sure made ya feel good inside when all the neigbors came out to watch me finish what the other guys couldnt handle. (And they somehow have a pretty good reputation as well)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Latest posts

Back