Biggest Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the 3 replys! (all within 3 mts)

Guys, thanks for the 3 replys about the DBH (all within 3 mts)! :greenchainsaw:

Dan

Last edited:
Maybe some of you won't mind seeing these again.
I didn't drop this one, but did work on cutt'n a little of it.
Didn't measure the base. About 4' up it was around 42" diamter.
BTW, the 441 has a 32 incher on her.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Man I'd love to dig the big saws in tht baby! Nice looking tree PA!

About 90% of the wood that I cut is hedge and I've seen some big trees over the years but this one is huge. I'm guessing it is still about 3' in diameter at 20' up from the base. I'll need a bigger saw for sure but even if I get iy cut there won't be an easy way to get it to the front of the house.

I am near kc. I have a saw that would probably get it cut up pm me if you need help and are fairly close.

Check out this hedge. There was 14 double blocks like the one behind my son in the truck alone. But really I'm gonna have some real trophy pics later this year. I located one that has to be atleast 4-5' at the bottom I'm going after for next year-------Soon as I come up with a saw big enough.

I cut a white oak down about 7 years ago that was 62" about 2 feet above the ground. I used an 066 with a 36" bar the fellow I cut it down for said he wanted all the wood, but about a week later he called me and said he could'nt handle it all so i ended up with 3 cords he had just about the same amount as me and some neighbors took some as well. All said and done we figured about 9 cords and three 8' dump loads of chips from the smaller limbs and brush. What a job!:chainsaw: :dizzy:

[
now i have no idea what kinda oak it was but it was a big mother thats for sure. it smelled a little like sewer when i was splitting it if thats helps to identify it.[/QUOTE]

ya i had one of those this summer too, GF called it poop wood cause of the smell, is this common for them to smell like that?

ya i had one of those this summer too, GF called it poop wood cause of the smell, is this common for them to smell like that?

I don't think any of the Oaks have an obnoxious smell.

It's the smell of long burn times and great heat!:clap:

Of course, when I have to fix a broken sewer line or sewage ejector pit, that smells like $$.

So maybe my "smeller" is kinda goofed up!

Last edited:
Check out this hedge. There was 14 double blocks like the one behind my son in the truck alone. But really I'm gonna have some real trophy pics later this year. I located one that has to be atleast 4-5' at the bottom I'm going after for next year-------Soon as I come up with a saw big enough.
You might want to reconsider bucking up the big Hedges.Right now they are the most valuable lumber tree in Kansas.I have been looking for a bowl turning friend and it is hard to find the big stuff.

Latest posts

Back