Bioheat, heating home with biofuel biodiesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Most of the things that I've learned about Biodiesel have already been mentioned, but I can add that while looking into parts for my furnace, I found that Webster makes a pump that is compatable with b100 and traditional no2 heating oil.
Also, the little bit of oil that I did burn this winter was 20% home brewed biodiesel.
The mix worked well.
I would rather not try to make and store 800-1000 gallons of biodiesel, but burning wood as primary heat would mean that I would only need to make a little biodiesel.
This means that I could make a few batches during the summer (pouring them into that oil tank as I go) and then be all set for winter.
I like thinking about not buying any heating oil.

SCORE

I just stopped by a burger joint (one of the 4 locations they have) I like to go to from time to time. The co-owner knew me by sight, but not by name. I knew he was a really nice guy, and it was a pleasure introducing myself and speaking with him more formally. I let him know what I was looking to do and he was excited about it. He said he'd be happy to help me out.

Each location goes through roughly 8 gallons/week = 416 gallons/year. 4 locations @416 gallons/year = 1664 gallons. Should be just the right amount for heat and some extra to have to sell, stock, or put in the truck.

Sounds like a winner as long as it pans out for you. I don't know how many restaurants I've talked to over the years that agreed initially up front, then either forgot to tell the kitchen help (who kept using the dumpster), or got hassled by their oil pickup service, or instances where I've talked to a "daytime" manager, but then the nighttime manager didn't agree. Just keep after them and be sure everybody there gets the memo.

Another point, how are you planning to retrieve the oil from them? Be aware that pumping it out of the dumpster, though dumpster diving is a time-honored tradition in the WVO/biodiesel community, is in almost every instance against the law and can get you in a heap of trouble. Particularly these days when the waste oil is a valuable commodity, rendering services are getting quicker and quicker to prosecute if they catch you pumping out of the dumpster.

I used metal, 5 gallon cans that I left for the restaurant. That way, they could empty right out of the hot fryer and not worry about the can melting. Every week or when the cans were full I'd stop by and switch them out with empties. Worked well as long as I didn't get my cans stolen (which happened a time or two) and the workers remembered to fill them.

Told the owner that I could drop off my own containers if he'd like and he said that would be great. He was just as excited as I was, so from every impression I got, it should work out well for both parties.

I will of course line up some additional sources as I go along here.

Now to get my hands on a used water heater...

Told the owner that I could drop off my own containers if he'd like and he said that would be great. He was just as excited as I was, so from every impression I got, it should work out well for both parties.

I will of course line up some additional sources as I go along here.

Now to get my hands on a used water heater...

You just might find one around back of a local plumbing shop.

Not sure. But I'd like to heat the house, make fuel for the truck, and sell some too. So I figure getting or making a processor is the way to go.

BTW, where are you scoring 60 gallons a week? That's sweet!

go to smaller places that sell deef fried food and you will see that the big processor company's want nothing to do with them so they have barrels and pails full of oil that they actually pay me food to take away as they can't dump it and it is a leagal battle to dispose of so I am the guy.
small repair shops also have a hell of a time getting rid of used oil and oil change places have recycler guys in place but there oil filters still hold alot of oil and a simple logsplitter attachment can crush and catch that oil also.
my buddy does this for about 30 shops .

I'm also considering the possibility of making modifications to my boiler to just use the WVO rather than processing it into biodiesel.

Here are some links from journeytoforever.org which seems to be a great resource. The last link sent me to a yahoo group which is focused on boiler modifications for using WVO.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_heaters.html

Oil-fired furnaces:

Frequently Asked Question: "Can I burn bio-diesel in my furnace? I now burn standard fossil fuel oil."

Answer: Yes you can, but it depends on the furnace. Some need some adaptation, others don't. Whichever, it must be washed biodiesel -- the methanol in unwashed biodiesel will rot the rubber parts.

Biodiesel Heating, by Carol E. Moné, Homepower Magazine, Issue 97, October/November, 2003, p40-44 -- Switching a 30-year-old oil-fired furnace to biodiesel for domestic space heating. From Homepower Magazine (purchase issue online):
http://www.homepower.com/

Biodiesel Blends in Space Heating Equipment, by C.R. Krishna, Brookhaven National Laboratory, sponsored by the US Department of Energy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), December 2001 -- An evaluation of the performance of blends of biodiesel and home heating oil in space heating applications. 32-page Acrobat file, 676kb
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/33579.pdf

Low Cost Bioheating Oil Application, by C.R. Krishna, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 2003 (US DOE Contract). Describes combustion tests with soy biodiesel blends in a residential boiler and a commercial boiler. 24 pages, Acrobat file 1.3Mb
http://www.pubs.bnl.gov/documents/25436.pdf

Combustion Testing of a Bio-diesel Fuel Oil Blend in Residential Oil Burning Equipment, John E. Batey, PE, Energy Research Center, Inc., 2003, for Massachusetts Oilheat Council & National Oilheat Research Alliance -- 59 pages, Acrobat file 176kb
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/hom/20030801_htg-002.pdf

Riello Burners and Bio-fuel -- Synthesis of the experiences with the bio-fuel -- Report on using biodiesel from the Burner Division at Riello's Combustion Research Centre in Italy (with thanks to Damian Dolan)
28kb Acrobat file.

Biodiesel Home Heating Experiences, by Myles Twete -- Burning 100% biodiesel fuel made from used vegetable oil in a residential oil-fired furnace.
http://home.comcast.net/~matwete/biodiesel/BiodieselHomeHeatingExperiences.htm

Alternative fuels furnace forum -- altfuelfurnace
Alternative fuels, like SVO (straight vegetable oil, waste vegetable oil), waste motor oil and biodiesel are being successfully burned in adapted residential oil-fired furnace burners such as Arco, R.W. Beckett, Carlin, Ducane, Esso, International, Riello, Slant Finn and Wayne. The forum is a meeting place to exchange information and ideas in adapting residential oil burners that use HHO (home heating oil) to these alternative fuels.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/Subscribe: [email protected]

I Scored

Was havin a hard time finding a source for wvo. Well i scored big earlier and got hooked up with a brand new japanese rest. You know these oriental resteraunts are known for the cleanest oils and no fats. They were happy to see me too and seemed just as excited! Just goes to show that perserverance pays off! AHHHHH! Fuel at about 85 cents per gallon, AHHHHH Refreshing!:clap: :cheers:

Back