Bit OT and early advise needed on lawn tractor purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought a crapsman 4500 series yard tractor for $1199 on season end clearance last spring. original price was over $2600. It has 26HP, 2 cylinder, and like a 54" deck. its hydrostatic drive. it does a great job mowing the lawn, but i much prefer to spend time on my L4400 kubota.

I'll throw another option in the mix too. If you can find a Good used Wheel Horse garden tractor, they don't make these any more unfortunately.

The 518 was bought new in 1989, the 520 is a 1994 model. Both have a twin cyl. Onan engine. I use a 44" blower on the 520 also, plenty of power. To bad Torro quit making them, but they were expensive in their day.

House2004200.jpg

House2004232.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

You take good care of those Wheelhorse's. They do look nice. I think the Wheelhorse, Jim Dandy and such are more available in the eastern part of the US. Don't see many here.

Another vote for a used Simplicity. Sometimes you can get them cheap cause people really don't know how good they are.

$2,000 would buy a heck of a nice Sovereign.

I have 2 acres I mow. I had a cheapy last 4 yrs. In about 96 I was given my late grandfathers 1973 16 Simp with 48" deck and tiller. I use the snot out of it. Limited slip diff, hydrostatic, power lift, and beefy. Nice big tires.

simpletractors.com

My Father has one of these and likes it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-SIMPLICITY...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eab7e8a0e

Not a Sovereign but still a nice tractor.

Honda 4500 series, best lawn tractors made............period.
You may be able to locate their cadilac, the 4518, for around 2 g's.
I bought one outa Detroit a few years back for 2500.
2 cyl inline overhead cam, watercooled , hydrostat, 46" 3 blade deck, 12 x 40 blower.
This engine was more sophisticated then their auto engines when 1st introduced.
I have both the 4518 & it's little brother, the 4514.
Paul

another vote for simplicity or AC . currently only three most are older than than the people I work with they can,t remember Sohio gas stations

Honda 4500 series, best lawn tractors made............period.
You may be able to locate their cadilac, the 4518, for around 2 g's.
I bought one outa Detroit a few years back for 2500.
2 cyl inline overhead cam, watercooled , hydrostat, 46" 3 blade deck, 12 x 40 blower.
This engine was more sophisticated then their auto engines when 1st introduced.
I have both the 4518 & it's little brother, the 4514.
Paul

My thinking is that you aren't familiar with the Simplicity line. The last Sovereign was made in 2000. It cost around 4 grand new with NO mower deck. Really not in the same class as new Cub cadets, Hondas, Deeres, etc.

I came across a review of the Sovereign from someone who should know.

http://www1.epinions.com/review/Simplicity_Sovereign_Garden_Tractor/content_155513163396

Across this country I guarantee there are thousands of 40 year old Simplicities working. Seats have been replaced,along with mufflers and spindle bearings. I'm talking about 40 years worth of work. Some of the newer ones are of slightly less quality, but Simp had to do something because most people just can't believe that a 16 hp garden tractor that sells for over $4000 is a good deal.

Here is a link to some pics of a 1966 Simplicity doing some firewood duty.

http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/101_at_work.htm

Last edited:
id say these days,if you get a 2000.00 mower to last 4 years thats good.in the end you are left w/scrap iron. look at the other end of the spectrum. buy a quality product from cub,simplicity,or deere. spend 6000.00-8000.00,get a good warranty,and resale. you could run one of those mowers for 15-20 yrs.(if cared for),and still sell it for 1500.00-2000.00. this would be a better investment,plus nice piece of equipment,not a disposable pos. just my opinion

I agree with STIHLTHEDEERE bought a JD LX188 in 1993 with the water-cooled 17 HP Kawasaki for about 4K. I mow about 1 acre about 9 months out of the year, have taken it to my farm and abused it there and it just keeps running. Oil and filter changes and 1 new electric pto clutch and that's it. I have no idea how many hours because this model had no hour meter but I'm sure its quit a few. If any way possible spend more up front and you will get it back on the back end IMO. Good luck.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Deere

I purchased a Deere X320 in '08. I typically move about an acre. For what I bought it for it's awesome- that thing makes the lawn look great.

Hindsight- a larger "garden" tractor would have been more $, but I could do more things with it.

As others have said, I think it's wiser to spend the $ upfront (if you have it) and take care if the (whatever it is).

Also look at either dealer availability (and service) and/or parts for a used mower. That could help make your decision.. if all you can find is parts on ebay every now and again.

Latest posts

Back