Bit saws with little bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East Coast logger set up MS880 21" .404 chain 8 tooth sprocket

In reality most local guys run 20" bars on 441's and 460's and 24" bars on 660's. Most commercial cutters are cutting Walnut for cabinets, or hardwood for firewood. and no one has ever seen full wrap handles

Dangit that's perfect. The saws keep gettin bigger but the bars just stay the same. I'm gonna go 16" on my 460

No way!

Not doubting your wisdom ST, just can't believe that. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, it is true - and Stihl refuse to sell saws without the "standard" bar and chain here. The 15" does a great job on the 361 with an 8-pin, but hardly on the 660.......:monkey:

Husky sell all their larger saws PHO here.

Last edited:
I'd sure like to run a saw that you can lean on and not slow down!

I've got a STRONG 084 and I can stall it at will with little effort.
And I'm just a puny little fat guy.

Mike

Well, it is true - and Stihl refuse to sell saws without the "standard" bar and chain here. The 15" does a great job on the 361 with an 8-pin, but hardly on the 660.......:monkey:

Husky sell all their larger saws PHO here.

Should try a 3120 with a 20" bar and a 10 pin sometime, sure will put a smile on your face, it makes me smile every time i run it.

East Coast logger set up MS880 21" .404 chain 8 tooth sprocket

In reality most local guys run 20" bars on 441's and 460's and 24" bars on 660's. Most commercial cutters are cutting Walnut for cabinets, or hardwood for firewood. and no one has ever seen full wrap handles
DSCN1470-1.jpg

^
^
Needs a full wrap and a 36" bar.

The husky dealer I got the 576 from had a 385 on the shelf with a 24" bar. That is the biggest bar and saw he stocks I believe. I bought a used 660 from him last year and it had a 20" with full skip and an 8 pin on it. He seen one of the 372 xpw I had and said the first thing he would do is cut the wrap part off.

The husky dealer I got the 576 from had a 385 on the shelf with a 24" bar. That is the biggest bar and saw he stocks I believe. I bought a used 660 from him last year and it had a 20" with full skip and an 8 pin on it. He seen one of the 372 xpw I had and said the first thing he would do is cut the wrap part off.

The 385xp is a discontinued model, I believe!

longest bar my local shop stocks is 32".

It is a bit small on a 70cc saw! :cheers:

But then, the MS660 comes standard with a 15" one here! :biggrinbounce2::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The dude who sold me my saw actually asked if I wanted a 15" inch bar and chain when I picked up the powerhead. I just went "uh... what?"

The 385xp is a discontinued model, I believe!

This dealer won't stock 390s. He got some when they first came out and had a couple come apart on the crank bearings within a few months or so. He will order one but won't stock them. I don't know how many 385s he's got left, but said he can still get them. Some of the stihl dealers will stock up to a 36" bar.

This dealer won't stock 390s. He got some when they first came out and had a couple come apart on the crank bearings within a few months or so. He will order one but won't stock them. I don't know how many 385s he's got left, but said he can still get them. Some of the stihl dealers will stock up to a 36" bar.

That is a problem that was quite common on early 385s, but supposedly was fixed a long time ago....:confused:

Guilty here, & I'm sure Gary will call me a wussy:hmm3grin2orange:. I like the power of my 064 on the 20" with an 8 pin, makes for fast cutting & noodling. We will occasionally get into a little bigger wood 30 - 36" dbh, & it pulls the 25" fine. I just can't see running a long bar where I don't need it. There's less chance of grounding the tip on the short bar when bucking in the woods. AC

When I bought this Mac 740 I thought it was strange that a 99cc. saw had a 18" bar on it.

740-3.jpg

All us easterners are trying to learn to square file and some of ya'll round file out there. Sometimes we even put longer bars on saws too and have full wraps. Here's the Burvol saw.

001-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back