Black Birch and Iron Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they both the same thing?
Got a load of fire wood logs and the guy said it had some Iron Wood mixed in, that stuff cuts like cement.

Nope. Both will make a saw work. Both have high fiber density (burn great & long). Both are reluctant to be split, but well worth the effort.
Folks here know how to keep a chain sharp and an engine on-song, no?
I'll bet your supplier didn't mix a lot of that good stuff in, but kept if for his OWB.

BTW, nice list of foreign stuff you got there! :rolleyes:

Hop hornbeam (our variety of ironwood) is wicked firewood once you get it cut. Brush piles burn for hours.... Scorch the earth til there's no microbes left to release nutrients too.

There's nothing like wood that sparks when you cut it. :laugh:

Are they both the same thing?
Got a load of fire wood logs and the guy said it had some Iron Wood mixed in, that stuff cuts like cement.

I use some ironwood mixed with a little maple on really cold nights. Don't burn straight ironwood for long periods or it will wreck your stove. I melted the grate on the bottom of my garage stove one year before I knew any better.

Had a friend with a bunch of ironwood, he used it sparingly.
Wife didn't know the rules and loaded stove with it, burned the house down.

Sent from my mobile world using Tapatalk HD

Ironwood (eastern Hophornbeam) burns hotter than coal. And will ruin a hand saw trying to cut it.

I'll take your blue beech over ironwood, takes forever for ironwod to grow big enough to use.

Ahh, But the smell of birch always make me think of riding my mc around Quebec.....

Latest posts

Back