black cherry removal today think i will mill it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Cherry Logs

Very nice solid logs, look to be super for some good furniture making. Pricey stuff around here to obtain when you can find it.

One thing I miss having access to on the left coast, my favorite wood for furniture that I have made, including the couch (exposed wood frame), easel, bookcase, floor lamp music stand and table top lamp in our living room (all solid cherry). And my wife's jewelry chest and our granddaughter's cradle as well as the old dining room table (replaced by a family heirloom that I made the base for 20+ years ago).

I've attached a couple of pictures.

99qmth.jpg
nice tom

Looks good tomtrees58:clap: The first log I milled was a black cherry. They have been stacked and stickered for some time now. Be 2 years in a couple months. I finally bought a thickness planer last month, so will be trying it out when the weather straightens out. I'm thinking gun cabinet or curio cabinet, or both. LOL Great looking wood, cherry.

100_0084.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0086.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Nice haul.
going to pick up a nice 32"x19' cherry log in a couple weeks from D.C.

If you actually travel to D.C. for a nice log you need to give me your wish list. Big Cherries I usually keep. Right now I have a 40" White Oak log that's getting ready to be cut up for fire wood. A couple years ago I took down 3 36"+ Black Walnuts and couldn't give them away. They sat till another neighbor finally pushed them over the hill to rot. I'm in Frederick MD, a little west of D.C. Shoot me a PM with your phone # if you want me to let you know what I run across, Joe.

If you actually travel to D.C. for a nice log you need to give me your wish list. Big Cherries I usually keep. Right now I have a 40" White Oak log that's getting ready to be cut up for fire wood. A couple years ago I took down 3 36"+ Black Walnuts and couldn't give them away. They sat till another neighbor finally pushed them over the hill to rot. I'm in Frederick MD, a little west of D.C. Shoot me a PM with your phone # if you want me to let you know what I run across, Joe.

well thank you, sir. pm sent.

tom, lets see some pics of those boards!

My dad wants to remove all the cherry trees along one side of his property. He has had several people offer to do it for him. I told him that I have the saws and trucks to move it, and he has the equipment to load it. I told him lets do it ourselves. If I remember correctly there were 300 cherry trees. His friend was figuring firewood and I told them to wait until I did the math on the trees. I am 34 and he purchased the property when I was 6 months old. The trees were standing when he bought it. Should we buy a mill and do it ourselves or just take the wood to the mill. There are severeal mills within a 45 minute drive.

I would think that with that much it would be best to see if you could sell it to a logger. I would pick a few of the really nice trees and cut the lumber I wanted and let the pros handle the rest. Sawing up the tree is the easy part. Taking care of the lumber and drying it properly so that you have some you can use is a different story. 300 trees would be a big stack.

Last edited:
I will have to call some of the mills and get their specs and what they are paying.
We have no timeline, so I don't want to call in a logging co. If we don't finish this year, we can get it next year.

40" White Oak log that's getting ready to be cut up for fire wood. A couple years ago I took down 3 36"+ Black Walnuts and couldn't give them away.

ouch. ouch. ouch. i've heard many many stories like this from the fellas at work. seems so wasteful. just today i missed out on a 40" burr oak because the tree co didn't have any way to move a 12' by 40" trunk piece, otherwise i probably could've scored it. guess i need a bigger trailer. lol. i know woodworking equipment is expensive but it seems like such a no brainer to turn all those logs into usable goods. plus, milling is such a blast. ah well, glad to see some of you tree guys are milling some.
good luck!

ern76v.jpg
i move my big wood like this the cherry will be milled soon its 8 out and 30" of snow out and more coming today tom:fingers-crossed:

tom trees ,iam sorry i thought you wer just hording wood , 8* 30 " you must burn some to .The one white oak log would keep us warm most of the year ,but then its 50 here today

Latest posts

Back