Black goo dripping down my stove pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you got your stove working well now. I just wanted to comment on your air moving setup. I would get some sort of CO detector just incase something goes wrong with a load of wood. If you get a backdraft situation you could circulate CO throughout your house and not know it with your blower system. (I would assume you would smell smoke but it must've happened more than once....)
In Ontario we are not allowed to make a set up like yours for this reason. I'm not saying you should tear yours out but just so you know.
Ian

MontanaMan said:
One more update: Today my wife and I took the baby up into the mountains. I cut firewood while she played with the baby among the trees.

Before we left, I turned the air knob on the stove all the way down to #1. When we came back 5 hours later, the temp gauge for the catalyst was still at 500 degrees.

Before I fixed the stove, we would be lucky to get a 200 degree reading with the air knob at #1. The stove is much, much more efficient now.

The last thing I'm going to do is check the rope gasket on the front loading door. They say you should put a dollar-bill halfway in there, and if it comes out easy, it's not sealing perfectly. I'll check it next time I let the stove run down cold, and replace it if necessary. That would be cool if it gets even *more* efficient.

I'll tell ya, these Blaze King stoves are really good when properly taken care of. I would strongly recommend this brand to anybody, either new or second-hand.

Thanks again, and good luck to everyone.

Also make sure your wood is dri!If your tring to damp the stove down with moist wood the juice will run down the pipes bigg time!

IndyIan said:
I would get some sort of CO detector just incase something goes wrong with a load of wood.

Thanks for the tip. Can anybody post a link to an "inexpensive-but-works-just-fine" CO detector? Thanks!!

A decent detector won't break the bank at less than 30 bucks, check out the nearest hardware store or what-have-you, check on-line for outlets near you or order on-line for probably around the same ballpark, ( ie. http://www.allthebrands.com/search.aspx?q=Carbon Monoxide Detectors&rd=1&brand= ) a number of brands run around 20$ (US or Can.). Not up on the ones they call 'passive' but a few minutes googlin' should get you on the right path there.
You got some great advice here and I'm glad you have resolved the main issues (the upside down pipe thingy is a real common 'I did it meself' gaff up here, gah! lol), keep your family safe and warm :cheers:
I have been recommending CO (monoxide, the silent killer) detectors for years to the people I know with basement stoves, lousy ventilation, air tight houses with all of this, burners of semi-cured wood (fer shame), stoves in boats, even shops that are nicely sealed for the winter, etc., but like a typical DA I don't have one, mind ya my place leaks mice, ergo pretty good ventilation lol.
New smoke detector coming monday tho, woo-hoo, dad won't be burning any breakfasts all poundy from the previous night lol (try shutting one of those screamers off when its mounted on a 12' vauled ceiling, the ladder is loaned out, your eyes are bleeding and your toaster is on fire, great logistics prob, thank dog I sold my shotgun lol), :cry:

:popcorn:

Sprig said:
<snip>

New smoke detector coming monday tho, woo-hoo, dad won't be burning any breakfasts all poundy from the previous night lol (try shutting one of those screamers off when its mounted on a 12' vauled ceiling, the ladder is loaned out, your eyes are bleeding and your toaster is on fire, great logistics prob, thank dog I sold my shotgun lol), :cry:

:popcorn:

REminds me of when I used a chainsaw to cut off a bad beam in the basement. Low ceiling and I was right under that detector when it went off as I was just getting into the cut good. Didn't take but a flash to wish I had remembered the detector and pulled it before beginning.:greenchainsaw:

Harry K

Back