Black Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
Reaction score
I know that black locust splits naturally as it dries, but has anyone tried to split logs green for fence posts? I'm in a hurry and cut some 8' posts yesterday. Some are small enough I won't split them at all but I also have some 12" posts that I want to halve or quarter.

I know that black locust splits naturally as it dries, but has anyone tried to split logs green for fence posts? I'm in a hurry and cut some 8' posts yesterday. Some are small enough I won't split them at all but I also have some 12" posts that I want to halve or quarter.

I don't know about fence posts, but I burn a lot of black locust and prefer to split and handle it green. Dry, it has the wickedest splinters.

Jack

Yes, I have split posts from logs. You need at least three wedges, one to start the split and the other 2 to follow it down the log. May also need an ax to cut stringers. Rather easy to do but you have to start your split aimed to miss any major knots.

Harry K

I've never tried splitting logs for posts, I've seem many a mile of fences that were split hedge posts.
They started in on the biggest knot with their wedges, working towards the small end of the log. Once it was split to the small end they worked the other direction, from the knot, to the big end. I dont know if they worked them green or 'cured'. But dry hedge does seem to split easier by hand for me, not sure about BL since it doesnt seem to get very big here before it dies.

Harry, I guess either method would work, just that the finished product might look somewhat different. I did run onto some BL the other day in some bottom land that are 40+ feet and about 12"-14" diameter that all grew up together nice and straight. The thought came to mind how this would be easy pickings for you but decided to clean up around them, maybe cull a few. Letting the best of the bunch grow a bit for barn timbers.

Tried it last night on a couple and had problems with the log splitting correctly for an inch or two and then starting the split in a circular pattern following the growth rings. Sorta ruined one (at least it now looks like crap) and started ruining another before I gave up. I'm now guessing that they need to be dry.

Tried it last night on a couple and had problems with the log splitting correctly for an inch or two and then starting the split in a circular pattern following the growth rings. Sorta ruined one (at least it now looks like crap) and started ruining another before I gave up. I'm now guessing that they need to be dry.

Hmmm...never had that happen to me. I split mine green. I have noticed that there is a great difference in splitability from one tree to the next here. Some I can split manually with little trouble, others string badly.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back