planting black locust from seed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On a whim I bought some black locust seeds. I could have just collected pods from some of the big box store parking lots, but, risk being run over or maybe arrested for theft.

So, what's a good way to plant these buggers? Before the snow, I just scattered a few here and there around the edges of some clear(ish) areas that don't see much traffic. If they take, they take.

Figure a better idea is to choose some areas that might prove better suited to growth and eventual harvest. Not that I will be likely to benefit from that, being well into my 70's now.

Pretty sure these are black and not honey locust as the seeds are small, rice grain size. I think the honey locust are much larger, maybe black bean size.

On a whim I bought some black locust seeds. I could have just collected pods from some of the big box store parking lots, but, risk being run over or maybe arrested for theft.

So, what's a good way to plant these buggers? Before the snow, I just scattered a few here and there around the edges of some clear(ish) areas that don't see much traffic. If they take, they take.

Figure a better idea is to choose some areas that might prove better suited to growth and eventual harvest. Not that I will be likely to benefit from that, being well into my 70's now.

Pretty sure these are black and not honey locust as the seeds are small, rice grain size. I think the honey locust are much larger, maybe black bean size.

Found this link, which may help. It says that you have soak the seeds in hot water before sowing.

https://plants.usda.gov/DocumentLibrary/factsheet/pdf/fs_rops.pdf

Back