Black walnut (Junglans nigra) market

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody know how the market is doing now for Black Walnut? A friend of mine has a tree to cut down and I am curious before I go and even look at it if the market is in the crapper like oak, or if it is still up there.

Also, if you know about the beech market, what is that like?

I can't give you current numbers, but B walnut and cherry is the only things I bother with these days. Last walnut I hauled was 8ft long, 18" butt pulled $350. rest of it was all limbs.
-Ralph

A local woodcarver picks up walnut logs for me. Helps alot. He made me a cedar owl that rocks. The ol' guy can sure pivot and roll them logs good. Puts others I use to shame. I've heard cabinet makers and such used to want it, but they all go prefab now.

Pre-fab unless the people have money.

I did work for some people a number of years ago, they had an 87? acre farm which the wife ran pretty much for something to keep her busy and to put a few bucks into her pocket. He made his $ off of being a custom carpenter. 8? years ago an end chest? (the box for the foot of a bed) was like $10,000 if he made it. I remember he was getting 50K+ for a series of bookshelves, just to make them for a place down in the city.

Latest posts

Back