What is this Black Walnut worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoo20069

Reaction score
I know it’s hard to say…. But what would you say this black walnut tree is worth? I am having my property logged, so there will be a logger there. It is the biggest black walnut I’ve seen, has to be 60” diameter at the base. The big limbs coming off must be 24-30” wide. North Central Missouri.

Attachments

• B6FAA23D-ABD8-41C0-A406-9AC2FAADC684.jpeg
    B6FAA23D-ABD8-41C0-A406-9AC2FAADC684.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
Contact a gunstock mfg. they will probably pay the best price.
when cutting limbs make sure to leave a foot or so of stub. Do NOT cut them flush! Crotch wood has the most value for them. Up to 18” diameter is useful. Bigger the better.
Calico Hardwoods in Santa Rosa,California is the one I’ve sold to back in the 80s. We got $1000/tree, 5 black Clairo, 4-6’ diameters. They brought a loader and 2 flatbeds.

there are several on the east coast. Not sure about your area. The big ones, like Calico uses their own equipment and travels as needed to where the tree is.

what is that tree’s base diameter?

I hate to be the rain on your parade but it probably has a lot less value than others will tell you. I am not even sure you can get a 8'6" out of it. The trunk looks divided also
For lumber? Yup, nothing there worth milling. But, gunstocks are a different animal.
https://calicohardwoods.com/index.php

Here are three trees that have no real monetary value but folks think they do

Attachments

• 16876532902422429951504137040376.jpg
    16876532902422429951504137040376.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 16876533357807153685154293027901.jpg
    16876533357807153685154293027901.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 16876533724126152680403567110948.jpg
    16876533724126152680403567110948.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
If you are really needing to find out the value, get off the computer and consult an expert. The value cannot be estimated from a picture. An experienced timber cruiser is your friend. And, markets vary.

What does the butt of the tree look like? Are there rot indicators? Can a log be made from the tree? What grade is it? Etc. Most lay people don't look for this stuff. I'd be really suspicious of anybody who used that picture to give you an estimate.

Meanwhile, here's this, which needs to be posted again.

If you are really needing to find out the value, get off the computer and consult an expert. The value cannot be estimated from a picture. An experienced timber cruiser is your friend. And, markets vary.

What does the butt of the tree look like? Are there rot indicators? Can a log be made from the tree? What grade is it? Etc. Most lay people don't look for this stuff. I'd be really suspicious of anybody who used that picture to give you an estimate.

Meanwhile, here's this, which needs to be posted again.

ahhh, beat me to it

And it shall be posted more. One of the best forestry related videos on the net!

I'm thinking it could easily be changed to A Highly Valuable Cedar Tree as well. Or how about A Highly Valuable Big Leaf Maple? (music wood).
Well true but here we have very high value Walnut, moderate Maple, and junk Cedar. Now with that being said there is junk in all species but not all species have high value. Walnut currently, and has for a long time been the highest value here. I have seen the veneer buyer pay some unbelievable prices. He paid a nice price for a log we skidded from a deadfall. Now that in no way means all Walnut is of great value. Some is worth the most as firewood and in my opinion it is not very good firewood either. Leave it stand, not all trees need cut ......well maybe Mulberry :)

Straight clear walnut is good. 2 33' or a 33' & a 16'5", to a fork & that's it. That's the good stuff in Appalachia at least. Those are the ones that open up real easy too.

I may be wrong, but I believe the demand for high quality walnut gunstocks has gone way down as most purchasers, especially the younger generation, prefer the plastic/Kevlar stocks. Blanks of English walnut that were $2k thirty years ago were a tenth of that last I looked five years ago. I'm not sure i have the heart to look nowdays. Even nice solid cherry, maple, and oak furniture can be found for a song at garage sales and thrift stores as it holds no value for younger folk around here. Cell phone and game consoles, well now, that's another matter.

I cannot speak to the value of gunstocks but good Walnut is still in high demand. As for vintage furniture it is really hit or miss.

Just to come right out and answer your question, you will be doing good to get $400 out of that tree. And that would be also selling the not so very good firewood from the top.

Back