Gaining Access to valuable 38" black walnut tree not in my yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir,
Are you saying Walnut is of low value in Ontario? I believe you as you are there but it seems odd.
In this part of southern Ontario as a tree yes most of what grows here in hardwoods. You would think that would make a difference when you buy it as lumber but it’s still more then softwood in the big box stores. Just about everyone with a chainsaw in my county mills wood and aren’t too bad on price.

In this part of southern Ontario as a tree yes most of what grows here in hardwoods. You would think that would make a difference when you buy it as lumber but it’s still more then softwood in the big box stores. Just about everyone with a chainsaw in my county mills wood and aren’t too bad on price.
So what species do you log?

So what species do you log?
I don’t I mainly cut trees down in peoples backyards(front yard trees are city property)and generally don’t deal with bigger trees as I don’t own a bucket truck.
But I have been paid a lot to haul off the remains of these big walnuts oaks and maples as it’s cheaper then having the big company's haul them off.
Hoping to gear up/bring up my skills enough to bring down some bigger trees in bigger yards(more room to land big trees whole) and start dropping trees to mill for lumber.

I don’t I mainly cut trees down in peoples backyards(front yard trees are city property)and generally don’t deal with bigger trees as I don’t own a bucket truck.
But I have been paid a lot to haul off the remains of these big walnuts oaks and maples as it’s cheaper then having the big company's haul them off.
Hoping to gear up/bring up my skills enough to bring down some bigger trees in bigger yards(more room to land big trees whole) and start dropping trees to mill for lumber.
Well there is a HUGE difference in the value of a yard tree versus a tree in the woods. Yard trees are of ZERO commercial value as a lumber to a mill. In the woods is 100% different. The OP was asking about a yard tree which as zero retail value to a mill but could be very valuable to a guy milling his own lumber or cutting turning blanks. He/she has to assume the risks of it being a yard tree though.

A funny story on "yard" trees. My oldest son is renting a house on a farm about 5 miles south of me. About a month ago he sent me a text and said (name removed tree service) was there during the day and took down a 5 ft oak in the yard. If i wanted the wood I need to get over there. Well I went over on Friday and got about half the top. The next day we used the mini ex and Kenworth to get the rest of the top. The trunk section of about 25 feet was still there. It measured around 64 inches on the stump. I took him a 395 with a 36" so he could block it up. Well later I got a message that said he hit steel in a bunch of different places and was tired of sharpening the chain. He actually sheered about three cutters off.

Well that stem is at the bottom of a deep ravine now. I do wonder what was in it though. I would have liked to got it back over here and burned it just to see what was in there but that would have involved a both excavators and several trips with the RGN.

Well there is a HUGE difference in the value of a yard tree versus a tree in the woods. Yard trees are of ZERO commercial value as a lumber to a mill. In the woods is 100% different. The OP was asking about a yard tree which as zero retail value to a mill but could be very valuable to a guy milling his own lumber or cutting turning blanks. He/she has to assume the risks of it being a yard tree though.

A funny story on "yard" trees. My oldest son is renting a house on a farm about 5 miles south of me. About a month ago he sent me a text and said (name removed tree service) was there during the day and took down a 5 ft oak in the yard. If i wanted the wood I need to get over there. Well I went over on Friday and got about half the top. The next day we used the mini ex and Kenworth to get the rest of the top. The trunk section of about 25 feet was still there. It measured around 64 inches on the stump. I took him a 395 with a 36" so he could block it up. Well later I got a message that said he hit steel in a bunch of different places and was tired of sharpening the chain. He actually sheered about three cutters off.

Well that stem is at the bottom of a deep ravine now. I do wonder what was in it though. I would have liked to got it back over here and burned it just to see what was in there but that would have involved a both excavators and several trips with the RGN.
Even the trees out of brush lots here can barely be given away for instance a big landscaping company my buddy works for has thousands of logs for free right now all manner of species both soft and hardwood from 2 or 3 land clearing jobs. I have seen all manner of things growing into trees the most worrying was a 1/2 chain that I used an axe and cut off saw to remove before I could buck it. but nails/screws and chain link fencing are most common.

Even the trees out of brush lots here can barely be given away for instance a big landscaping company my buddy works for has thousands of logs for free right now all manner of species both soft and hardwood from 2 or 3 land clearing jobs. I have seen all manner of things growing into trees the most worrying was a 1/2 chain that I used an axe and cut off saw to remove before I could buck it. but nails/screws and chain link fencing are most common.
I find it tough to believe your log market is so much different than the rest of North America. I am not talking about yard trees and landscape trees. Trees in the bush that cannot be given away? You are there so I believe ya but it seems really odd. What is Ontario using for lumber? Are all loggers shut down? Are your mills shut down? Are the lumberyards empty?

I find it tough to believe your log market is so much different than the rest of North America. I am not talking about yard trees and landscapine tree. Trees in the bush that cannot be given away? You are there so I believe ya but it seems really odd. What is Ontario using for lumber? Are all loggers shut down? Are your mills shut down? Are the lumberyards empty?
Pretty much this county had quite a few circular saw mills 100 to 150 years ago. but theirs no softwoods to speak of now a days(we’re supposed to have be in the carolinian forest)very little brush left(something like 15%) and most of that has houses in it or is being clear cut for subdivisions(what the landscaping company I was talking about was doing). Our lumber comes from the south and the west coast mix of pine(southern yellow mainly) spruce and fir from the US and Midwest/western Canadian provinces don’t think much of anything comes from northern Ontario anymore. My city being right on the border we get a lot from the states brought in by train.

Back