What’s going on with this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMania

Reaction score
I’ve had over 5 arborists come out for the past couple days and I have received quite a variety of responses. It’s hard to know what’s right, especially when the estimates have included a variance of $8k.

Does the tree look like it could survive? It grew a lot of leaves last year when we had first bought the house. Some who came have said that the tree is no longer viable and needs to come down right now. Others have said that we just need to remove some of the more problematic limbs. I know that that some prior work was done by the previous owners due to a tree limb that fell during a storm.

We also have a small driveway (as well as the neighbors) that makes any vehicle access difficult or impossible. Some of the companies are saying they will climb the tree and cut it by hand, while one company quoted over 10k which including using a crane that would go over our neighbor’s house. Considering there are power lines and about 4 houses near this tree, what would be the safest option?

The fun part about all of this is that the property line goes straight down the middle of the trunk so we will need to work with the neighbor on all of this.

It’s a same that it might need to be removed because many have remarked on the age and how it’s one of the biggest shagbark hickory they’ve seen.

Attachments

• 96481DFD-2FF6-42D2-AA57-9E019418EBB9.jpeg
    96481DFD-2FF6-42D2-AA57-9E019418EBB9.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 25213C37-3AB5-458B-B758-2809029F3E7F.jpeg
    25213C37-3AB5-458B-B758-2809029F3E7F.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • CB6C9EB3-2A01-4D84-9091-1790B4418337.jpeg
    CB6C9EB3-2A01-4D84-9091-1790B4418337.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0485CD64-AE4E-460B-9FC9-BC7750F7825E.jpeg
    0485CD64-AE4E-460B-9FC9-BC7750F7825E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful old hickory, I always lean towards mitigation if possible. Safety is number one priority. Unfortunately we cannot evaluate from pictures. Finding the right reputable arborist that brings experience and confidence to the table is a challenge.
Try here. https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist
We would like to keep it too, if possible. But I used to work in insurance so my risk tolerance is low when there’s so many structures nearby. However, it provides great shade in the summer that makes our backyard feel like an green urban oasis.

Are you able to determine what is going on with the branches toward the left that seem to curling downwards? I was wondering if that is a sign of a dead limb.

You will be able to see what is dead or alive this spring after bud break. It looks to be normal growth habit for a hickory. Live green limbs is a indicator of health not structural integrity.

So I had 3 certified arborists come out and received 3 different opinions. I am curious if any of the logic seems suspect. My preference would obviously be #2 or #3.

#1-$8500 to use crane to remove tree because it’ll become a headache down the road.

#2-leave large damaged limb as is in the center. The reasoning being that the tree has survived that for several years and opening a large wound in the center might do the tree in. Besides that, he recommends removing some dead wood on the left leader.

#3- Same as #2, but remove the center limb all the way down using a proper cut. His reasoning being the opposite of the #2-leaving the limb like that would increase the changes of decay.

Arboriculture definitely seems a mix of art and science.

Getting recommendations from companies wanting to do the work is problematic. If you own a crane you need to keep it working so everything becomes a crane removal. If you don't have the heavy equipment then you see climbing and pruning work. Very few selling arborists will be honest and say to you this tree requires equipment and experience we don't have.
It's best in your situation to pay for an consulting arborist with experience in tree hazard evaluation. Who also is not looking to sell you a job.

The tree looks like a live shaggy bark hickory I would leave it till it really starts to die it could get messed up cutting on it I’m just a logger tho if it was me I would leave it looks alive to me.

I think the twp needs to be brought in for a look before anything starts with that many power lines running through it. The line clearing crews could make quick work of it to mitigate the electrical hazards. After that you might not have enough tree left to keep. If you saw the mess they leave around here and chop the centers out of trees you'd wonder why they left it standing at all. So, I asked two companies why they leave work looking like that. Same answer from both. We don't want to buck and load wood or chip "extra" limbs. And they were contracted by the power company. Anything below that line isn't touched at all. The messes remain as the tree dies and crumbles.

My neighbors are prime example. They won't pay for anything tree or bush related. The last dead crumbling stick 60ft high he pulled over with a van, a rope and chain all knotted together. Twp was getting complains about there trees again last year. Not from me I could care less. We have a generator here so everytime their limbs take out power lines here we just go on alternative power for a day or two. My neighbors get pissed at them most times because they have no juice.

@OP
Would you like some pics?

You asked what is wrong with the tree? It has too many central leaders. Bad tree form to have all branches growing up. Cut off one or two per year. Or cut the entire tree down.

So I had 3 certified arborists come out and received 3 different opinions. I am curious if any of the logic seems suspect. My preference would obviously be #2 or #3.

#1-$8500 to use crane to remove tree because it’ll become a headache down the road.

#2-leave large damaged limb as is in the center. The reasoning being that the tree has survived that for several years and opening a large wound in the center might do the tree in. Besides that, he recommends removing some dead wood on the left leader.

#3- Same as #2, but remove the center limb all the way down using a proper cut. His reasoning being the opposite of the #2-leaving the limb like that would increase the changes of decay.

Arboriculture definitely seems a mix of art and science.
I'm a little suspicious of the logic used by #1... all trees near a structure will become a headache sometime in the future. I'd want a definition of what he means by "down the road". Now, I'm not saying his approach is wrong, I'm not competent to diagnose this situation or figure out how to solve the problem, I just don't like the way he put his answer (or the way you interpreted it, idk...)
Good luck.

. all trees near a structure will become a headache sometime in the future.

I've noticed that also and they seem to lean towards the structure then die.

I moved into a place and every large tree around that died was leaning towards a structure and had to be rigged for winching opposite direction before felling. (by me)

Latest posts

Back