Estimate for cost of tree removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaitch

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a ballpark sense (high and low) of the cost of removing a tree from my late father's property in Northwestern Mass. It's a cluster of two cedar trunks around 60-70 feet tall that abuts the northeast corner of the house. A cherry-picker or Condor type crane is necessary, according to a neighbor. It can be driven right up to the site--there's no leach field or septic tank underground there.

I don't know if I can have rounds of cedar wood left for my husband to chop into wood for the fireplace, so an additional question is what's it likely to cost me if a wood chipper comes for the removal too.

Removing the stump isn't something I'm asking about at this time. It's complicated with the way the roots are now married to the foundation. At this juncture, I'm just looking to have the substantial height of the tree taken down before a new storm lets loose another large limb that narrowly misses the house.

Thanks for any help you can provide to a city mouse out of her element.

I'm trying to get a ballpark sense (high and low) of the cost of removing a tree from my late father's property in Northwestern Mass. It's a cluster of two cedar trunks around 60-70 feet tall that abuts the northeast corner of the house. A cherry-picker or Condor type crane is necessary, according to a neighbor. It can be driven right up to the site--there's no leach field or septic tank underground there.

I don't know if I can have rounds of cedar wood left for my husband to chop into wood for the fireplace, so an additional question is what's it likely to cost me if a wood chipper comes for the removal too.

Removing the stump isn't something I'm asking about at this time. It's complicated with the way the roots are now married to the foundation. At this juncture, I'm just looking to have the substantial height of the tree taken down before a new storm lets loose another large limb that narrowly misses the house.

Thanks for any help you can provide to a city mouse out of her element.
Pics will help.

Pics will help.

...A lot.

How far you are from the tree service business is a factor, what structures are beneath the tree are very important, how far the tree is located from the service road, and whether or not the tree can be "dropped" are all important questions.

I'd guess that about the cheapest you could hope to get would be about $2500.00, presuming that the difficulty is not too great. That isn't even my part of the country, so this is just wild speculation on my part. Expect quotes considerably higher if this is 200' from the road and over the house and powerlines to two houses.

We don't even know if this tree is dead and dangerous, or if you just wish to have it removed. Details are important, there are no "one size fits all" prices, except for the very high prices.

When you take pictures, be sure to stand a long way off and get the wider view. We can zoom in for details, but zooming out to see stuff that isn't in the picture doesn't work. Get several angles, too.

...A lot.

How far you are from the tree service business is a factor, what structures are beneath the tree are very important, how far the tree is located from the service road, and whether or not the tree can be "dropped" are all important questions.

I'd guess that about the cheapest you could hope to get would be about $2500.00, presuming that the difficulty is not too great. That isn't even my part of the country, so this is just wild speculation on my part. Expect quotes considerably higher if this is 200' from the road and over the house and powerlines to two houses.

We don't even know if this tree is dead and dangerous, or if you just wish to have it removed. Details are important, there are no "one size fits all" prices, except for the very high prices.

When you take pictures, be sure to stand a long way off and get the wider view. We can zoom in for details, but zooming out to see stuff that isn't in the picture doesn't work. Get several angles, too.
Base daily rate around here went from $2500 to $2750. Last year…for the main, reputable companies. Half day job a bit less but not much.

The only real way to know what is or isn't expensive in your area is to have it bid by 2-3 companies that can come and actually look at the job.

Anything that has to be climbed is going to cost more than a tree that can be dropped whole, a crane will add a substantial amount of money if it's required to do the job. Haul away/chipping vs having them leave the mess can be a big chunk of change as well.

Pictures of the tree and the surrounding area would help.

I'm about 50 miles away. If any of the cedar branches are straight and could be used for fence posts, I might be willing to barter cutting up some of the rest once the tree is on the ground.

Burn season extends through May 1st in MA. Burning a big pile is another way to get rid of lots of the smaller stuff.

bonfire 3.JPG

Pics will help.
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.33.52 PM.pngIMG_1471.jpg
...A lot.

Ah! This is all very helpful to know. Thank you!
...A lot.

Base daily rate around here went from $2500 to $2750. Last year…for the main, reputable companies. Half day job a bit less but not much.
Good to know. Thanks!

I'm about 50 miles away. If any of the cedar branches are straight and could be used for fence posts, I might be willing to barter cutting up some of the rest once the tree is on the ground.

Burn season extends through May 1st in MA. Burning a big pile is another way to get rid of lots of the smaller stuff.

View attachment 1144885
Creative ideas! I'm going to pass on the fence post/chopping swap, but thank you!

The only real way to know what is or isn't expensive in your area is to have it bid by 2-3 companies that can come and actually look at the job.

Anything that has to be climbed is going to cost more than a tree that can be dropped whole, a crane will add a substantial amount of money if it's required to do the job. Haul away/chipping vs having them leave the mess can be a big chunk of change as well.

Pictures of the tree and the surrounding area would help.
This all makes good sense. If I were there 24/7, this would be more easily done...

This all makes good sense. If I were there 24/7, this would be more easily done...
Whomever you decide on, get references. Look at internet reviews too. Sign a contract that tells you exactly what is or isn't being done. Like some other have said, cleanup isn't cheap but it isn't easy for a homeowner not equipped to do it. Good luck.

Half day with a crane provided there is enough room for set up.
All brush chipped, wood up to 15" chipped as well. Remainder stays on site. Stump cut as low as possible.
$2850-$3000
Picture prices are just guesses. Only a person on site can give a true, accurate estimate.
Get a copy of the companies liability insurance emailed to you from the companies provider. If they refuse to do that walk away.
I think Haupt tree works in your area. Good reputable company. Another would be Race Mountain tree.

Half day with a crane provided there is enough room for set up.
All brush chipped, wood up to 15" chipped as well. Remainder stays on site. Stump cut as low as possible.
$2850-$3000
Picture prices are just guesses. Only a person on site can give a true, accurate estimate.
Get a copy of the companies liability insurance emailed to you from the companies provider. If they refuse to do that walk away.
I think Haupt tree works in your area. Good reputable company. Another would be Race Mountain tree.
On second thought, I just remembered where Heath is. I don't believe either of those companies go up that far, but I can be mistaken.
Beautiful country up there!

I agree with most of what's been said here: you should be prepared to shell out at least $3-4K, given the size and complexity of the job.

I had a similar tree situation quoted recently, and the cost can vary depending on a few factors. Since you have a tree with substantial height and close proximity to the house, it will require specialized equipment like a cherry-picker, which adds to the cost. Also, if you want the cedar rounds left for chopping, that might reduce the price slightly since it's less work for the removal crew, but don't expect a huge discount.

You’ve got some good info here and looks like your ballpark price will be around 2-3 thousand. If your budget can stand that, then I’d ask around locally for recommendations on a good tree guy.
BUT…
If that’s out of the financial comfort zone, seems like it could be easily done with a few helpers like the work crew in your photo. If as you say, there’s easy access, then there should be a decent drop zone, and I’d bet among friends and neighbors there is someone capable of knocking those trees down. I see some wires there so that would be a concern, but otherwise could be a fairly straightforward home brewed project.

When I said wide angle, I meant W I D E. We cannot even see the whole tree. A panograph picture with every inch of ground within 100 feet of the tree would be perfect. Especially if taken from two different directions.

It looks like there might be an open space off to the right, but you didn't include that area in your pic, so it's still guesswork.

this is all why I never big over the phone or pictures, made that mistake once and showed up to do 2 15K trees for $900, had to walk on that one "its only 20ft tall and 18" diameter" they said
just call a local tree company and have them bid it, its free and they will give you a much more accurate price than any of us ever will

very, we are at almost $3000 a day for a 2 man crew right now

Tennessee doesn't qualify as "East Coast".

And there are high-ballers everywhere. That is why you should get 3 or more quotes. If you don't like any of them, call 'em back in 3 months and ask if they want to come down any from their previously high quote.

Here's the deal: different companies have different sales policies. Almost all will quote a higher price, planning on being negotiated downward. Some have lots of work, and don't need your tidbit. Others are bidding high, planning on catching only the desperate buyers. Others make a steady living off of regular customers that are unwilling to be taken by the high-ballers.
Let them know that you are not in a hurry, they can schedule the work when it suits them, but you only expect to pay $xxxx, and that includes <service list>.

this is all why I never big over the phone or pictures, made that mistake once and showed up to do 2 15K trees for $900, had to walk on that one "its only 20ft tall and 18" diameter" they said
just call a local tree company and have them bid it, its free and they will give you a much more accurate price than any of us ever will

Oh yes. That's the only way to get a quote. Look 'em in the eye, and go from there.

The little bit of that tree he showed us didn't look like any 70' tree, either. Maybe 50-60' would be my wild guess. It looked like an easy climb, and drop large chunks away from the house. Maybe the whole tree.

Latest posts

Back