Help identifying a tree in my yard that has to be removed, is it valuable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Tell the guy that bid it to pound salt.
2. Get at least a couple more bids, hopefully more.
3. Folks would poo their pants to know what I pay to have yard trees taken from rental homes. It is nothing like the prices mentioned here when they are leaving the wood.
4. As many have said the tree has zero commercial value. No mill will touch a yard tree

1. Tell the guy that bid it to pound salt.
2. Get at least a couple more bids, hopefully more.
3. Folks would poo their pants to know what I pay to have yard trees taken from rental homes. It is nothing like the prices mentioned here when they are leaving the wood.
4. As many have said the tree has zero commercial value. No mill will touch a yard tree
Are you seeing how tight the work area is around that tree?

I just purchased a house in Ironwood Mi the UP, there's a massive tree in the yard that's leaning towards the garage, I was Quoted $3000.00 to remove it but they want to charge me more if I keep the wood to sell or use for my own crafting. This makes me believe it has a lot of value, the to own charges a huge fee for commercial disposal.I'm sure it's some kind of Oak but I don't know what kind? I attached photos of the tree and a leaf from it. It's got it be over 100' tall and has a dangerous leaning i'm worried about, my 2 car garage and Camper are in it's path 😔 can anyone tell me what species it is and if it has any value to sell to someone that would pay me to harvest it? If you're not familiar with Ironwood it's right next to Hurley Wisconsin and about 10 miles from the lake Superior shore. I really hate to pay someone $3k that might make 10 X that reselling it. Any companies I can contact that might buy it? There are also 2 evergreen trees that also need removal because of ones height at least 200' it's roots are growing into my garage floor and holding the door open enough that critters are getting in I just watched a chipmunk running under teg door while it's closed. The other is about 80' tall and right on a corner of my homes foundation .
The bark looks like white oak. But the leaf appears to be from a red oak. It could also be a slippery elm. The tree also appears to be diseased. It definitely has to come down from the top down. There may be room to get a boom truck in there if the trailer is moved. Otherwise, climbing and roping everything down. Either way, 3k doesn't seem to be unreasonable. I would still get other bids though. jmho :cool: OT
1711375040475.png
White Oak
1711375766156.png
Slippery Elm

I'm not sure that leaf came from that tree. The leaf looks like some kind of red oak variant, but the bark on the tree does not.

I agree. That appears to be a silver maple, and the leaf is certainly a red oak.
Big silver maples have little value as lumber, and I agree with your other comments. Get two more bids, then just pick whichever contractor you prefer.

If the guy removing the tree happens to make money on the side by selling the wood as wood pulp, you shouldn't really care, so long as you are getting a fair value on the removal. Get three bids, and then pick one.

Get a certificate of insurance and make sure it includes worker's compensation coverage. Don't accept anything less than a real certificate sent to you from the insurance agent. Make sure it has your name printed on it, too. Companies with real coverage do this all the time. Companies that don't have coverage will give you something else. If what they give you has the model of their truck listed on it, they don't even have liability insurance.

But the leaf appears to be from a red oak. It could also be a slippery elm

Look real close at the twigs. Elm and oak have alternate branching patterns. I believe the picture shows opposite branching, and the bark looks like silver maple to me. We have lots of them around here.

1711379384777.png

Regarding the leaf… The fact each lobe has sharp pointed teeth with a fine bristle tip makes it look like a Pin Oak to me.
The tree’s buds and bark appear to be that of a Silver Maple, so that leaf is not from that tree.
As far as cost and worth… they grow everywhere up here in BC and it’s a very common yard tree.

Regardless that leaf is in the Red Oak species and the tree really looks to be a Silver maple. 3k to remove that tree would not be considered high where I live. The fact they want to charge more to leave the wood is totally backwards to me. It’s way less work to be able to piece a tree apart and do zero clean up… I wish I had that option 🤣

Are you seeing how tight the work area is around that tree?
Well pictures are misleading but
1. The camper in there will easily go away.
2. The camper went in so that also means there is bucket truck access.
3. The OP only wants it put on the ground.
4. Most importantly any tree service that bids more money to leave the wood than take it away needs to go away.

Well pictures are misleading but
1. The camper in there will easily go away.
2. The camper went in so that also means there is bucket truck access.
3. The OP only wants it put on the ground.
4. Most importantly any tree service that bids more money to leave the wood than take it away needs to go away.
Old boy must desperately need firewood!

Already beat to death but that's not going to stop me. ;^)
More to leave the wood? That's prolly reasonable, cuz it means the home owner is going to be in the way, 2nd guessing every cut and wanting just this or that length stacked just so. Then is going to be mad when he sees it's really of no use/value and wants it to go away anyways after lots of jibber jabber. The job goes much smoother when when you show up, do what you usually do, straight from tree to truck, the way your guys are used to doing it, and leave with a check in hand.

More to leave the wood? That's prolly reasonable, cuz it means the home owner is going to be in the way, 2nd guessing every cut and wanting just this or that length stacked just so. Then is going to be mad when he sees it's really of no use/value and wants it to go away anyways after lots of jibber jabber. The job goes much smoother when when you show up, do what you usually do, straight from tree to truck, the way your guys are used to doing it, and leave with a check in hand.
True in limited space it all does get in the way and make the job harder!

No sense at all. Appears they want the wood and are going to charge more if they don't get their way.

Makes no sense. Meth?
They could have a firewood business too, so they take a little off the cost and make up for that loss with their firewood sale. I think that is a fair way to treat people. They are taking the tree down anyhow, and good hardwood is worth good money when it is processed and dry.

That's a whole lot of assumptions.

One thing to keep in mind is the vines eventually sucked the life out of the tree.

For about 6 years or more I would tell some kin folks as i visited them that they better cut the vine runners off of a large Oak tree next to their house or the vines are going to kill that tree. They ignored my warnings even after I seen the once healthy tree start dying then they asked me to take down their dead tree. (they knew that I could take down trees by controlled felling. I declined felling the tree and got to tell them I told you so)

$3k seems to be reasonable on that one.

I see shaggy bark on that one.
Not worth anything of value other than maybe firewood and might even be rotten inside.
Needs removed ASAP due to being close to buildings and possibly people around underneath often.

Safe safe.

Latest posts

Back