Help identifying a tree in my yard that has to be removed, is it valuable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saboken

Reaction score
I just purchased a house in Ironwood Mi the UP, there's a massive tree in the yard that's leaning towards the garage, I was Quoted $3000.00 to remove it but they want to charge me more if I keep the wood to sell or use for my own crafting. This makes me believe it has a lot of value, the to own charges a huge fee for commercial disposal.I'm sure it's some kind of Oak but I don't know what kind? I attached photos of the tree and a leaf from it. It's got it be over 100' tall and has a dangerous leaning i'm worried about, my 2 car garage and Camper are in it's path 😔 can anyone tell me what species it is and if it has any value to sell to someone that would pay me to harvest it? If you're not familiar with Ironwood it's right next to Hurley Wisconsin and about 10 miles from the lake Superior shore. I really hate to pay someone $3k that might make 10 X that reselling it. Any companies I can contact that might buy it? There are also 2 evergreen trees that also need removal because of ones height at least 200' it's roots are growing into my garage floor and holding the door open enough that critters are getting in I just watched a chipmunk running under teg door while it's closed. The other is about 80' tall and right on a corner of my homes foundation .

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_144127162.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240315_145607367.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240315_144116666.jpg
    18.6 MB · Views: 5
By the time you have it moved to the sawmill, pay someone to saw it, have it moved back, dry and store it for a year, it would be cheaper to buy. Unless it’s gunstock grade walnut and then is it worth it? Now 30 acres, yes.

The short answer is no, there is a reason it costs money to have a tree removed. There is no way to make money harvesting one yard tree.
It depends. I had a couple of red oaks fall in my yard, and found a mobile sawyer who came to my house and milled the logs for $350. I stacked and stickered it and a year later had a great collection of 5/4" 10' boards, at a cost of about $1/bf.

I'm not sure that leaf came from that tree. The leaf looks like some kind of red oak variant, but the bark on the tree does not. As far as the value of the tree, it's not worth anything for lumber for the reasons already mentioned. With the brief description you gave, I'd say $3k is a pretty reasonable price. Will they sell the tree as firewood? Maybe. Will they mill some of it into lumber? Maybe. Your goal is to get the trees down and off your property. What they do with them is not of your concern. I'm not saying this to be a jerk. I'm saying this because it takes skilled labor and a respectable amount of capitol equipment to do what they do. I don't know anyone doing tree removal that can afford to buy a 4,000 sq ft home for their family (as opposed to some electricians, plumbers, builders, and general contractors that I've met), so I'm pretty sure they're not ripping you off. If you want the firewood, or you want to have the tree milled into lumber, then have them quote just putting the tree on the ground with no cleanup. I've taken down a few large trees in my yard, and I'm prepping to take down another that was killed by lighting a few years ago. I can tell you from experience that it can easily take up the majority of your summer to get everything taken care of. Mine were all straight forward and easy to get on the ground, and I have most of the equipment needed to do the work. My neighbors have had tree work done a few different times, and $3k would have been cheap considering the amount of equipment and personnel that was used.

I just purchased a house in Ironwood Mi the UP, there's a massive tree in the yard that's leaning towards the garage, I was Quoted $3000.00 to remove it but they want to charge me more if I keep the wood to sell or use for my own crafting. This makes me believe it has a lot of value, the to own charges a huge fee for commercial disposal.I'm sure it's some kind of Oak but I don't know what kind? I attached photos of the tree and a leaf from it. It's got it be over 100' tall and has a dangerous leaning i'm worried about, my 2 car garage and Camper are in it's path 😔 can anyone tell me what species it is and if it has any value to sell to someone that would pay me to harvest it? If you're not familiar with Ironwood it's right next to Hurley Wisconsin and about 10 miles from the lake Superior shore. I really hate to pay someone $3k that might make 10 X that reselling it. Any companies I can contact that might buy it? There are also 2 evergreen trees that also need removal because of ones height at least 200' it's roots are growing into my garage floor and holding the door open enough that critters are getting in I just watched a chipmunk running under teg door while it's closed. The other is about 80' tall and right on a corner of my homes foundation .
Looks like a silver maple to me. Since it is rather large, it may (or may not) have value to someone who could mill live edge slabs, but otherwise a relatively low value species as timber.

To your price point by others. Sound advice.

A "friend " asked me to drop a half dozen or so ash trees, probably 50+ feet, 12" diameter, easy drops, away from any buildings etc. Told me I could have the wood for my labor. Generous. I have enough ash of my own, so I diplomatically refused. She hired a local company, $750 per tree. This is in NY, just north of the border to PA/Scranton area.

It looks like silver maple from the bark. The leaf you posted is an oak leaf. Not from that tree. Get several bids from reputable companies. Cheapest and most expensive aren't always the best. Good luck.
EDIT. As far as estimating height. Look at some cell towers in your area. Most are 180' feet tall. A few might be less.

It's Silver Maple. Any tree service that is going to charge you more to leave Silver Maple on site then hauling it off site has absolutely no idea what they are doing as the wood will only cost them more to remove than it would to leave it on site. Even if they are processing it into firewood. They should be charging you more to haul it off site.

Find another tree service that is reputable and will provide you with a certificate of insurance.

I have it on speed dial.:laugh:

Ha! This is a good one. Thank you.
Recently opened up a free firewood ad on Marketplace in my area.
Ad stated you can come cut the tree and have the wood for free. This tree was rather tall, towering over a house, growing in the backyard, spanning over neighboring properties..
Ironically, it was a black walnut tree 🤣

Latest posts

Back