Help identifying a tree in my yard that has to be removed, is it valuable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless that leaf is in the Red Oak species and the tree really looks to be a Silver maple. 3k to remove that tree would not be considered high where I live. The fact they want to charge more to leave the wood is totally backwards to me. It’s way less work to be able to piece a tree apart and do zero clean up… I wish I had that option 🤣
We don't get this option too often, but a lot of repeat customers in our area don't mind doing the bucking or clearing brush.
We all get excited when we see "drop and leave" on the job sheet.
I hate raking.

Old boy must desperately need firewood!
If the OP gets three more bids that are in the same ball park then it is probably the going rate fair or not. I just know there is no way in hell any reputable tree service would bid a job higher to leave the wood there. That is senseless. When I have to have a trees taken down at rental properties they are tickled that they do not have to remove it nor grind the stump.

In your area what would it cost to grind that stump?

I’m with a bunch of others. It’s a silver maple. Wood is good but not great for firewood. I think I’m the only person that mills the stuff. Usually doesn’t come out very good. Maybe they’re hurting for next years firewood.

It's just that they get so carried away with all kinds of assumed stuff non-stop! No matter what !
It is a yard tree that needs to come down. The species is irrelevant. The first guy bidding is a joke. Get more bids select one. Done

No clean up used to sound great, if its a decent size tree you still end up moving the stuff. Not a fan of working in a brush pile. Half the time it's cool other half I'd rather chip it and get it out of my way.

I just purchased a house in Ironwood Mi the UP, there's a massive tree in the yard that's leaning towards the garage, I was Quoted $3000.00 to remove it but they want to charge me more if I keep the wood to sell or use for my own crafting. This makes me believe it has a lot of value, the to own charges a huge fee for commercial disposal.I'm sure it's some kind of Oak but I don't know what kind? I attached photos of the tree and a leaf from it. It's got it be over 100' tall and has a dangerous leaning i'm worried about, my 2 car garage and Camper are in it's path 😔 can anyone tell me what species it is and if it has any value to sell to someone that would pay me to harvest it? If you're not familiar with Ironwood it's right next to Hurley Wisconsin and about 10 miles from the lake Superior shore. I really hate to pay someone $3k that might make 10 X that reselling it. Any companies I can contact that might buy it? There are also 2 evergreen trees that also need removal because of ones height at least 200' it's roots are growing into my garage floor and holding the door open enough that critters are getting in I just watched a chipmunk running under teg door while it's closed. The other is about 80' tall and right on a corner of my homes foundation .

I would get at least three quotes from reputable companies and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. The tree is valuable to you only to get it removed and as others have said, you should not worry about what they do to the tree afterwards.

I had 5 trees taken down in the backyard of my previous home and paid ~$6000 (middle bid). They used a climber, skid steer, wood chipper, and three groundsmen. I told them they could leave the trunks but grind the stumps and chip the branches. The house was in a development and a section of my wood fence had to be taken out to get the equipment into the backyard. Four of the five trees were within 10 feet of my deck and leaned toward the house with multiple branches over the deck and/or roof.

The only complaint I had was I thought they could've ground the stumps down a little more than they did (but I didn't specify beforehand). I tipped each worker in cash and even the owner after the job was done.

In the end, the cost was worth it to me for the work required.

Latest posts

Back