black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nato

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi everyone hope things are well! this is some black walnut that i got and milled a few weeks ago from one of my jobsites. i took two loads of walnut home and one trailer load of oak and ash for woodburner. it was great. we had a volvo loader onsite to load the logs. a grand total of 10 minutes to load!! i brought the logs back to a buddys place where he lets me store and mill.(Great Dude!) pictures aren't the best but it's something. enjoy!

Last edited:
Maybe this is a newbie question but why did you paint the ends of the log? To seal it?

hi 4240, i had some old paint in the basement so i thought i'd see if it helps to prevent checking if i painted the ends. i figured it can't hurt any, besides i have a whole lot of old exterior paint, and this is a great way to get rid of some.

Last edited:
Walnut is a personal favorite of mine looks nice . Making anything in particular out of it. Looks awesome with waterlox finish too btw.

thanks. i'm going to make some dinning tables, coffee tables and so on. nothing to complex just simple big slab furnature for myself. if it turns out to be pretty nice i might try to sell some. you do like waterlox? i really am very ignorant on how to finish or what to use to finish slab tops once they are ready. i've spent most of my time trying to get some kind of wood inventory built up and also researching how and what to mill.(haven't been milling to long) do you have any photos of wood with waterlox applied to them? would it look good applied to red oak also? i would love to see them. nate

Last edited:
View attachment 227542View attachment 227543View attachment 227544View attachment 227545View attachment 227546thanks. i'm going to make some dinning tables, coffee tables and so on. nothing to complex just simple big slab furnature for myself. if it turns out to be pretty nice i might try to sell some. you do like waterlox? i really am very ignorant on how to finish or what to use to finish slab tops once they are ready. i've spent most of my time trying to get some kind of wood inventory built up and also researching how and what to mill.(haven't been milling to long) do you have any photos of wood with waterlox applied to them? would it look good applied to red oak also? i would love to see them. nate

Lol im a floor finisher but trade of course I do . Waterlox gives a nicer low build finish and once the coat is dried you can buff scratches out with it although I think on a coffee table or such I would use a nice poly , laquer , or water based finish like emulsion from basic coatings or street shoe . I like waterlox for its satin look low luster . Cabinets look great done in it . Its the easier of all of the ones listed above but pricey. Ill pm you for the pics.

thanks for info eecho. i'll look up those names online and do a little research. price won't be a deal breaker for me. sometimes you get what you pay for!

Nice curve on the first slabs you show. Can't get wood like that at Home Depot. I used to avoid curved logs, now I actively seek them out. I was reading about how to make a curved arm for a Morris chair out of straight lumber when the light came on. As for finish to use, you'll have a year or two to make up your mind.

Yes proper drying can take one to three years depending on density and species . Best thing to use is a moisture meter . In wood flooring we want 7 % roughly for lack of movement or cupping or crowning. The typical house we walk into is 12-16 % moisture in plywood by the time its under roof . Air drying takes alot of time for proper cure but nice walnut 3/4 thickness can be in upwards of 7 a square foot for flooring . Kilns also steam walnut which help blend the white outter ring in walnut to the darker heart color for consistency in color .

Thanks for the pics Nato

You lucky guys living in hardwood land make me jealous every time. Yes I admit it, I am green with envy. Please do justice to the great wood you have access to and don't take it for granted.

Old Blue
Too jealous to whine about taxes tonight, in....
Kali-bone-ya

hi guys, i was hoping to make a bar top with the curved stuff. we have alot of vinards in northeast ohio and maybe i can work a sale up someday....or maybe work a trade for some wine!! yeah talltom, i figured i have plenty of time for this stuff to dry, and for me to figure on what to use for a finish. if any one has any recomendations please let me know. if you give me some names of stuff i will look them up and do a little research.

eecho thanks for knowledge on flooring in houses. i was looking to make some wide plank flooring out of some of my red oak for my entrance at the house. it's only about 6 footx 8 foot or so. i figured it was going to be an experiment for when i try to do the kitchen floor. what do you recomend as an underlayment?

Latest posts

Back