blake vs tautline/vt hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was wondering what friction hitch puts the least amount of stress and wear on a rope? i am using only half inch 16 strand XTC ropes, fire, spearmint, plus. i usually replace my climbing lines after a year so im wondering what hitch will give me the best bet at keeping my rope from fraying or becoming plucked over a period of hard use. i climb almost 3 times a week at 20-60 feet.

Your rope should be fine from the friction hitch... its the friction hitch that usually burns out... maybe a friction saver in the tree would help with the rope dilemma.... Lockjack or SRT with ascenders might help also. I climb off a tautline hitch split tail... been trying out the prussik cords with the hitch climber pulley self tending.. its very smoooooth

Smoothest is VT or similar. I climbed on an Blakes hitch till i got sick of it locking all the time. I switched to a hitch climber knot, its amazing. Totally different experience.

i have been using the blakes for ever. i have the same problem with it locking up on me. i was thinking of getting a beeline prussic cord and micro pully. i think wesspur sells them in a split tail kit that come with a beeline cord, micro pulley swivel snap and 2 william carabiners for like $70 or so.

maybe a friction saver in the tree would help with the rope dilemma

:agree2:

Once you get in the habit of using a cambium saver on EVERY climb your climbing ropes will last three years not one. I climb on XTC fire and have only retired one line in three years because some idiot cut it short. Yes I am the idiot.

If you are unhappy with knot advancing with your current friction hitch then there are lots to choose from. Using beeline on XTC fire I have used the English prussik, VT, french prussik and have now settled on the Swabisch as, IMO, the best friction hitch for my needs.

Good luck picking a hitch and stick with the "low and slow" idea until its as familiar to you as your Blakes.

Latest posts

Back