Blizzard!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just got back to normal! Life has been pretty interesting since Wednesday. We got socked with 12"+ snow and 40 mph winds, with gusts of 60 mph. We lost power wednesday night and didnt get it back until yesterday. Took me two days to dig out, got the tractor stuck:chainsaw: once.

The woodstove saved the day. We cooked on it nonstop, melted snow to use in the toilets.:clap: I have a brand new 8000 watt honda generator, but they dont work well without gas. I had to ration my gas to use in the tractor to dig myself out! That was quite the job, 8-10 foot drifts blew across our driveway, which is about 1 mile long.

I learned a lot the last four days. I really appreciate living in a house built in the early 1900s that was originally builty to be heated with a woodstove!! Funny how that works sometimes.:cheers:

shtf

Well you got an eye opener.. Now it is time to be getting better prepared for the next time huh?

Sounds like you had an interesting past couple of days. At least you are finally dug out and everything worked out.
I hear you about the woodstove. I personally wouldnt want to be without mine because I know that as long as I dont run out of wood, I will always have heat.
Im just waiting for the snow around here too. In the past few days we went from having temps in the 70s to having temps in the 40s.
Hopefully this winter will be just like last winter was. Im sick of 50 degree temps, rain and brown grass during the winter.
Im hoping the winters cycle back to being cold and snowy, thats the way it should be during the winter in Wisconsin.

Sounds like you had an interesting past couple of days. At least you are finally dug out and everything worked out.
I hear you about the woodstove. I personally wouldnt want to be without mine because I know that as long as I dont run out of wood, I will always have heat.
Im just waiting for the snow around here too. In the past few days we went from having temps in the 70s to having temps in the 40s.
Hopefully this winter will be just like last winter was. Im sick of 50 degree temps, rain and brown grass during the winter.
Im hoping the winters cycle back to being cold and snowy, thats the way it should be during the winter in Wisconsin.

After this week I'd be OK with a 50 degree winter:greenchainsaw:

LOL...I bet. Personally, I love winter. The more snow, the better. Last winter we got at least 4 or 5 storms that dropped 12" or more each time and at least once a week we'd get a storm that would drop 6".
I put a lot of hours on my snowblower last winter not to mention that I did a lot of snowmobiling.
A lot of people around here said it was a bad winter and were happy when spring came though. Apparently they had forgotten that we are supposed to get snow during the winter.

you're telling me.

Really we were fine, but it would fun to be the only house with lights glowing!

A Coleman Lantern would probably do fine for that, since I doubt that your old house is very air tight. A couple of gallons of Coleman fuel doesn't take up very much room and will run a lantern for quite awhile. Have a few packages of mantles on hand also.

childs play----------last week Deadwood SD had 48" of snow and 60mph winds

that was the same storm

we were just on the south end of it.

10 miles north of my house recieved 24" and snowfall progressively increased as you moved north into the black hills of SD.

Hope it snows in Pa. I hate that freezing rain.:jawdrop:

LT...

Did you get any pictures? We (I guess I) love to see pictures of other peoples misfortunes.

I sometimes wonder if I should have bought the house we looked at before our current home. It was set up with wood originally.... Oh well, that is what the generator is for, as long as there is gas for it!

Chris

sustained 40 mph and 60 mph gusts

What is up with the increased frequency of big snowstorms in the black hills

it's Global warming:greenchainsaw:

PS

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

Last edited:
snow and cold

Just got back to normal! Life has been pretty interesting since Wednesday. We got socked with 12"+ snow and 40 mph winds, with gusts of 60 mph. We lost power wednesday night and didnt get it back until yesterday. Took me two days to dig out, got the tractor stuck:chainsaw: once.

The woodstove saved the day. We cooked on it nonstop, melted snow to use in the toilets.:clap: I have a brand new 8000 watt honda generator, but they dont work well without gas. I had to ration my gas to use in the tractor to dig myself out! That was quite the job, 8-10 foot drifts blew across our driveway, which is about 1 mile long.

I learned a lot the last four days. I really appreciate living in a house built in the early 1900s that was originally builty to be heated with a woodstove!! Funny how that works sometimes.:cheers:

I am glad you survied it all. Do you know if the sugar beet crop was damaged or if the crop was already harvested?

I surely do not want to go back melting snow in a fifty five gallon drum when we lost our water for seven months when our well caved in all the way to the bottom of the well casing.

leon

:clap: :givebeer: :chainsaw: :popcorn:

Last edited:
That is some deep snow... Funny I heard about that storm and the first thing that crossed my mind as I was driving down the road listening to the news on the radio was "Wonder if any AS buddies got hit with that thing". Amazing I think about this forum even when I'm not cutting wood or looking at my stove.

Take care and snap some pictures if you get a chance.

Seeing those pictures reminds me of blizzard of 77-78 here in Ohio. The gravel company my mom worked for had their big cat 988 loaders out to clear roads.

Latest posts

Back