Blowhole 066, Stihl DP covers tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Today was testing day for my old tried and true Stihl 066 DP cover that has some small mods done to it to help flow and then a brand new DP cover with spark screen attached and then the Wojo 066 cover with spark screen.

Everything was set up with the old warrior DP cover on a woods ported 066, and then tested against those initial readings for comparison of a cover (without changing carb settings) that I know has kicked some azz in the past. The new DP cover was within 50 rpm at idle (lower) and within 100 rpm on (lower) max rpm. The Wojo cover puzzled me with readings of 300 rpm's (lower) at idle and then 200 rpm's (HIGHER) at max rpm's. So I would have to adjust my carb settings to run the wojo cover from the other 2 covers.

What do you tech guys or people in the know figure was going on with the wojo cover flow characteristics at idle and max wot.

Guess I will have to get a good cant and do some timed cuts on the video cam to see if there is any gains there to be made.

As far as a work cover it is a lot heavier duty built then the stock DP covers and I know they are being tested right now by a professional tree service that stated the crews that work for him destroy DP covers in a seasons time. Which for a homeowner like me is hard to believe that so much damage could result on the covers like that, but he is a man of his word.

Hope this helped someone out there and Thanks to Scott Wojo for providing the Wojo covers for testing. That 084 cover you made me is a jewel to have too for work and play, Thanks again.
Copyofwojo066006.jpg

Copyofwojo066004.jpg

Copyofwojo066001.jpg

Last edited:
Did the saw feel about the same with that cover in terms of performance?
Yes, after the idle was adjusted back up to my likings a hair and then the H side richened up a hair on the wojo cover. There wasn't any performance difference in the DP covers and wojo cover cutting up some small round ash in work set up imo.

So it seems to come down to what you like and if you tear up stock DP covers on your job continuously.

I dont, mine are all made to what I was wanting (special ordered), a hair over 1" ID pipes. I even had a 460 cover at one time with that pipe installed in the 084 thread.

The other ones he sales on ebay with .75" pipes and larger installed, I have never tried those.

I dont, mine are all made to what I was wanting (special ordered), a hair over 1" ID pipes. I even had a 460 cover at one time with that pipe installed in the 084 thread.

The other ones he sales on ebay with .75" pipes and larger installed, I have never tried those.

Are you running the stock outlet on that muffler or is it opened you too?? What size hole is in your stock outlet?

Last edited:
Are you running the stock outlet on that muffler or is it opened you too?? What size hole is in your stock outlet?

Are you talking the new DP cover? Its completely stock.

Do not Modify your saw. There are serious Federal penalties for doing anything that would violate EPA Regulations of the Clean Air Act.

Also it is very unsafe to run a saw with the muffler dampening system defeated.

Keep your saws Stock, Safe and Legal!

-Craig

Dang, this has re-inspired me. Im am going to start doing custom mufflers again! Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm assuming that there are/were at least 2 different 066/660 DP covers. Neither of mine appear altered, and one definitely has larger outlets(still round) than the other. Is this true, or did I end up with a modified DP cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back