blown down ash trees and time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASEMASTER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know that you can burn ash right off but? how long can i leave them in the woods before I cut them up for fire wood .they are not laying directly on the grownd but are layed over do to the wind. I realy dont need them for 2 more years. this wouldn't realy matter but at this time I have about 200 trees to clean up that got hit by the storm here in vt. mostly white pine and the mills are filled with the stuff. o well I'll salvage what I can.

NOt familiar with Ash but some species will deteriorate if not harvested (even standing) but not after cut/split/stack. In your case, I would work at it on a 'time available basis' but not get up-tight about getting it all worked up.

Harry K

Storm damage

ASEMASTER
Saw some of your pictures from the storm, looks like you got hit good by the wind and wet snow.
And your on the mend from some shoulder work too.
I wonder if there are some guys on this site who are close to you that could come help you out?
That yellow car in one of your pictures with the trees all about, is that a Alfa?
J.Walker

Last edited:
I have cut and split ash a year or more after coming down. Obviously, anything on the ground will get punky..... but i wouldn't worry about being in any mad rush.

Yea, most of my firewood is ash and i cut alot of it dead. It should be good for a while

If any bark is coming off it might be an idea to pull it off, as it will virtually stop the rotting. When wood goes punky its primary cause is from bugs and insects under the bark which feed on the wood and make it rot.

You shouldn't need to be in a hurry, but by the same token i wouldn't wait toooooo long

I cut Ash that has been dead for years. Most of the punky stuff I have found is from standing dead trees. I look for the mushrooms. Where there are mushrooms, there is rotten wood.

If the bark is off of it, it will last even longer. Some of the stuff I have cut seems to have gotten harder with the bark removed. I don't have any research to back any of this up, but I think it will last a long time....a few years for sure.

alpha yes

ASEMASTER
Saw some of your pictures from the storm, looks like you got hit good by the wind and wet snow.
And your on the mend from some shoulder work too.
I wonder if there are some guys on this site who are close to you that could come help you out?
That yellow car in one of your pictures with the trees all about, is that a Alfa?
J.Walker
the doc gave me the ok to use the shoulder but not abuse it he removed 9mm of bone and spur at the ac joint -he missed it in aug. on the first rottator cuff repair. now I have 6 weeks before I go back to work TIME TO GO PLAY WITH THE SAWS!
It's a neighbors that I started to fix but it was far worse than we anticipated and he was supposed to remove it 2 years ago.
1967 1700 engine seized and had been smashed and fixed a few times I removed 10 coats of paint to find the damage .

Last edited:
I have noticed that carpenter ants like ash trees-- so that may become a problem after a year or so.

Back