Blown piston in my 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had it for 2 years.
I put a coil in it a few months ago and now the piston goes.
That was the first coil the local dealer replaced.
He don't sell many saws though like a larger dealer.

I would say I put well over 100 tanks through it.

Any of you dolmar owners ever had to replace the piston in the 5100?

Did you tach your Dolly after the new coil was installed? Was it fourstroking? Mine seems indestructable in wood over it's head, set at 13,800 rpms and pulls in the cut like crazy, lot's of torque. More than my MS261.

Syn oil all the way for sure.

I used gas that may have had water in it.
jug cover was removed on it.A little rain may have gotten in.
But I used about 10 tanks after that.

Could that have had caused it?

Had it for 2 years.

I have maybe 130 tanks tru mine but my BIL has told me several times"that thing sounds like its gonna blow up",I tell him don't even joke about #### like that,its out of warranty.

Maybe. But those saws were kind of famous for blowing up for awhile there.

Who is the dolmar dealer on the island anyway? I didn't even know we had one.

In order to diagnose the cause, we are going to have to know more about what you call "blown"!
Was it scored?
If so on which side?
Was the crown damaged?
Rings intact?

Water will cause a saw to not run, or run like hell, but unless there was enough in the fuel to alter the lubricity of the mix I wouldn't think it would cause component damage. What I'm saying there is if there was enough water in the mix to damage the saw I would think it would just not run.
I would come nearer to thinking fuel seperation.

Mike

Had it for 2 years.

Its a trend

Motor kickin' azz...

I have no idea what I'm doing, but dang was it fun:rock:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVa76lokzk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVa76lokzk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In order to diagnose the cause, we are going to have to know more about what you call "blown"!
Was it scored?
If so on which side?
Was the crown damaged?
Rings intact?

Water will cause a saw to not run, or run like hell, but unless there was enough in the fuel to alter the lubricity of the mix I wouldn't think it would cause component damage. What I'm saying there is if there was enough water in the mix to damage the saw I would think it would just not run.
I would come nearer to thinking fuel seperation.

Mike

Piston was scored bad on the exhaust.Even had a little on the intake
Ring wasn't intact.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but dang was it fun:rock:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVa76lokzk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVa76lokzk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks like all bark and no bite to me lol:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back