Blue Flames

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I decided to snap a pic of my blue flames in my stove tonight. Sorry the pic isnt the greatest was taken with a cell phone

Jeff

I get that fairly often when the wood is burning down. Mesmerizing, isn't it? I've never seen the Northern Lights in person so watching blue flames in my Oslo is my version of the Northern Lights.

Shari

If you are addressing me, right now I am burning a mix of elm and locust but I get the blue flame from just about anything. The 'blue' doesn't appear until near the end of the burn cycle so you do have to watch for it. The 'blue' does last at least 1/2-3/4 hrs. though.

Shari

I see it also whenever i'm down to coals, sometimes before. Its a hot fire, and alot of btus there in the coals.

"Note that after the wood has gassed out the charcoal is carbon which combines with O2 to create a blue flame which is the color of CO burning>CO2"

Hence the blue flames from coal. Coal=70% or more carbon.
I actually get blue flame quite often in my OWB even when not supplementing with coal. Thats how you know you're being efficient!

Kinda hard to see but its there.

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's beautiful, isn't it? I have it alot burning the black locust, all I got right now (really sucks, actually, to ONLY have BL. It gets too hot, too easily, in here). Now if only I had a window on my stove...

I love going out to my OWB with a cold one. Stand there with the door open for a few minutes while the blue flames dance. Just like a campfire in the cold of winter.

Back